think i got a virus in firefox, it wont close?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bentzak, Aug 15, 2009.

1. bentzak macrumors newbie

hi,

so i was browsing (not gonna lie) pirate bay, and all of a sudden a tab appeared saying am i sure i want to navigate away from this page, i clicked close, nothing happened except it left me with only the firefox menu at the top. i tried to quit but it wouldnt quit. so i opened safari to see if it affected that, it didnt although it is a bit sluggish, does anyone know what this might be or how to solve it? i am doing a virus scan to see if that comes back with any results. also i have checked the plug ins, the is one called PDAprint, ?!?!??!?!

Cheers for any advice

2. bentzak thread starter macrumors newbie

just managed to close fire fox, should i uninstall it?

3. rerelease macrumors regular

You could delete your Firefox profile if it's not that valuable for you.

It's in [Username]/Library/Application Support/Firefox

(Backup and) delete profiles.ini and xxxxx.default folder under Profiles. Then launch Firefox and it'll automatically make a new, clean profile with no customizations or add-ons.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Drag it to the trash.

5. bentzak thread starter macrumors newbie

looked for the profiles, got as far as aplication support, no firefox folder tho, found a mozilla one, but it only has pkcs11.shlb and an extensions folder that leads to nothing. if i drag the app to the trash will it remove everything from it? wouldnt mind backing up my book marks but i dont really want to open it again??

actually cancell that i found the profiles, but will that delete my bookmarks?

6. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I think you may be moving a bit too fast, have you tried just force quitting firefox? Even if that doesn't work, try doing a hard boot on the computer (hold down your power button for 10 seconds). If Firefox is STILL acting all FUBAR THEN maybe you should worry about deleting things and re-installing.

7. bentzak thread starter macrumors newbie

8. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It was probably just an idiotic ad, you should be fine now that Firefox has quit. Just open it and it should be fine :)