Think I got malware somehow... need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hypnosis, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Hypnosis macrumors member

Well, this is a first. Kinda embarrassed to be honest. No idea whatsoever on how I got malware, but I did. I need help on how to remove it. I've got Avast and MalwareBytes installed; neither found anything. I opened up Chrome earlier this morning and it opened a new tab alongside my homepage of Google. It was some sketchy search engine. I removed the page and deleted the search engine from Chrome and no trouble. However, when I launched Chrome just now, it shows some sketchy sites in the URL field. I've never visited these sites but they're showing up there. Not exactly too sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure I haven't fully removed the malware.

I don't know if it has infected Safari as well. I haven't noticed anything, though.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. improwise macrumors member

You've probably installed a program that also installed some Search extensions. In many cases, they can be uninstalled via the Control Panel (I assume you are using Windows, right?) or by simply disabling some extensions in Chrome and change the search settings.

3. Hypnosis thread starter macrumors member

I'm on El Capitan. I've changed the settings on Chrome, but I'm not sure if it has just affected Chrome and not other programs... how can I know for sure that it is gone?

4. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Go to your extensions in chrome and remove anything that you don't know what it is. Reset chrome settings and clear history and website data. I don't deal with chrome much so I wouldn't be able to tell you how to do this but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

5. Hypnosis thread starter macrumors member

How do I know it only affected Chrome and not other stuff (like Safari)?

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Download Malwarebytes for Mac, install & run, if you want to look for all Malware install go the Apple Mac App Store download and install Bitdefender Antivirus Scanner, update and run.

Neither of these applications run the background, both are free, nonintrusive, and run only when you want them to. The scanners do not offer much in the line of protection being very much on demand tools, equally for the majority of OS X users, most just want to validate that the drive is free of malicious code be it related to OS X or Windows. Where Malwarebytes & Bitdefender`s Scanner excels is detection & simplicity having no daemons or start up agents etc. If you require active malware protection Avast is currently a solid solution, equally it brings complexity. a small impact on CPU and in some instances can extend the "threat surface"

Q-6