Think I have a plan...advice? (MB 2.0GHz or 2.4?)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by new2macx, Oct 14, 2008.

1. new2macx macrumors member

So...the new MacBooks have arrived and I can't decide between two of them!

Here's my situation:

Going to Uni to study Architecture in Sept '09. Will need a laptop (want a Mac) that can easily handle heavy CAD software (ArchiCAD/Vectorworks etc.), and that will last me for several years. Thinking of getting the top-of-the-line 15" MBP available at the time (there doesn't seem much point buying the top one now seeing as I won't need the graphics power for a year, and they don't include the latest CPUs (Centrino 2?), which should come later (?) to use with an external display when in my room.

BUT need a laptop now for other work/internet/movies etc., and some fiddling around on my trial version of Sketchup to familiarise myself with the software, (i.e. doesn't matter if it runs a bit slow).

AND would like an Al laptop (don't really like the plastic).

SO, (sorry to ramble:eek:) do you guys reckon the 2.0GHz new MB would do me for the year? Or the 2.4GHz for better performance? (Would I notice?:confused:) Which do you think would be the most attractive second hand (say 10 months old)? I'm not usually one for the latest tech (I'm 18 and this is my first laptop for example), but I don't see the point in laying out a LOT of money for a MBP now when I'll only need it's abilities in a year's time. It seems that I could get the majority of my cash back on eBay when I sell the MB on (AND I'm buying with an HE discount=roughly 17% off).

I'm just so confused- I don't want to buy the 2.0GHz and then be disappointed with the speed (I'm used to using the family pc which is E4500 @2.2GHz Core 2 Duo 539MHz, 2GB RAM). Advice much appreciated guys! :eek:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Are you planning video editing? is that what you mean by movies? or just watching?

3. new2macx thread starter macrumors member

Just watching. Sorry, should have been more specific :eek:

4. MacFlash macrumors newbie

Sounds like you should get a loaded MacBook Pro Refurb. Then take it to school next year and see if it can still do the job you need graphics-wise. I bet it will.

Then take me to the pub and buy the first round for all the money I saved you!! :)

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Decisions, decisions...

I'm in the same boat. If the quality of these notebooks are anything like the old Al Macbook Pro/Powerbook g4's you'll be selling these secondhand in 3-4 years. At that point, I think you could get back $100-150 of the purchase price due to the faster processor.

BTW, what is the HD discount? I know of the EDU discount.....

As for the refurb pro, well if you're waiting you can just get a refurb macbook.

Also to think about with a first gen product, do you get the applecare?...

decisions, decisions, decisions....

6. ankitsid macrumors member

got a little question

sorry for asking this here
    but i just dont find a good reason to start a whole new thread on this

i was looking at the new macbooks and im kind of on a somewhat tight budget when it comes to this stuff

would the 2.0 cut it for me
    i do your average photoshop about once a week and video editing every once in a while not huge intensive video editing stuff but still some

and some dj programs.
    the last thing i need is a macbook that will lag while im in the middle of a party djing
    so would the 2.0ghz with a later ram upgrade cut it for me?

7. scouf macrumors newbie

In the same boat

I would be using me macbook for video editing, not professional editing. I currently edit on my 3 year old Compaq presario laptop which runs on AMD. It's slow and takes forever to render on Adobe Premiere Pro.

I am new to Macs and would like to know if there is a vast difference between the 2.0 and 2.4.

Is it really worth $300, or am I better off spending $150 more on RAM

8. new2macx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply- makes sense, except that I'm vain and I want one of the new versions! :eek:

HE discount is "Higher Education" discount- you qualify if you're a Uni student/have a confirmed place at Uni- is this a UK-only thing? :confused:

I think that I will go for the 2.0GHz MB still, and then upgrade to a fully-loaded refurb MBP in about August. I don't mind continuing to save my dough (been doing it for months anyway! :rolleyes:) and I don't want to spend all that money without the Centrino 2 processers in there.

I am going to get Applecare as there's pretty hefty HE discount on that too.

ankitsid & scouf- know the feeling! :(

EDIT= Think I will go for the 2.4MB and upgrade the RAM myself. Had some other opinions that it should be powerful enough, and if it's not then I'll upgrade in a couple of years or so. Great to finally have made a decision! =p