Think I have a virus.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by That-Is-Bull, Apr 1, 2008.

1. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Probably not, but that'll get more attention. Earlier today, a window popped up saying my startup disk was full. I opened Finder and it said I only had a few megs of free space, instead of the ~55 GB it should've been. I tried quitting Logic Express, and it went back to normal. I forgot about it.

A few minutes ago I was playing WoW and noticed framerate issues. Everything was going very slow and it took a long time to go to/from windowed mode. So I looked at Finder, and again my free disk space was around 5 GB and kept going down, a few gigs a minute. I didn't have Logic open, but I tried quitting everything else and it just kept depleting until it got to about 50 MB and the message popped up again saying "You are running out of space on your startup disk." I clicked "OK" and it went back up to 55 GB. Then started going down again. It's at 30.06 GB right now, steadily decreasing. What should I do?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

First, restart. Steadily decreasing hard drive space is almost always a run away log file. Restarting should stop whatever is feeding the log. If your space is not what it should be even after the restart, get either Diskinventory x or WhatSize to find what is taking up the extra space. I will almost guarantee that it will be a very large log file.

3. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

4. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

if you torrent a lot, incomplete torrents and files that are still alive (at least in transmission) that have been force-quit can suddenly take up huge amounts of space. i had a couple of video clips that were supposted to be 18 megs eventually save to disk as 20gb that i had no idea about - worried overmuch about my disk.