Think I screwed up!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hangingkayaker, Sep 24, 2012.

1. hangingkayaker macrumors newbie

So when I hooked up "my book for Mac", I don't think I indicated that I wanted Time Machine to support it. I have backed up data onto the WD drive but I think I should be using Time Machine because I think it will be easier to use.
    So...how do I begin all over again? I can't seem to find out how to connect Time Machine to the WD drive.
    Thanks for your responses and keep in mind I'm not the swiftest computer user!!

hk

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Connect the WD drive then start Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities. Then in Disk Util click on the drive name on the left.... click erase and select Mac OS X Extended as the format type. Once your are done open Time Machine and select the WD drive as the backup destination and you should be all set.

3. hangingkayaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks weaselboy. That was painless. But I don't have anything (files etc.) showing in the multiple screens. How do I know if its been backed up and stored?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open the Finder and select something like your Documents folder that has files in it. Then open Time Machine app (with the stars and multiple screens you mentioned) and along the right side of the screen you should see a time line of backups. If you click different times there is will take you to the Finder screen for that time and show backed up files.

I'm assuming here you let the Time Machine backup complete. The first backup can take quite some time.

5. hangingkayaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it took a few hours to backup. When I went to that screen and scrolled through all of the windows there was nothing on any of them. That has me concerned that there is nothing backed up.