Think I should upgrade now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by T-800, May 4, 2011.

  1. T-800 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #1
    I have the very first intel imac from way back in 06 and I was wondering if you think it would be worth it for me to upgrade to the top of the line 21.5 inch model. I am going to sell my current iMac for around $500 and can get both a student discount and 10% off my purchase. I would be doing a pretty steady amount of video editing and playing games like SC2 and minecraft on the new iMac. Now on my machine right now I can actually do these things but they are very laggy. Think it is time to upgrade now or should I wait for another refresh?
     
  2. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

    Btrthnezr3

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    Location:
    Texas
    #2
    I think this is the right time to upgrade--

    You can still get a decent amount for your current computer, and the refreshed iMac will be able to do all the things you're asking and more.

    Do it! :p
     
  3. Dute macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #3

    If you're able to get $500 for your '06, I would definitely do it.
     
  4. T-800 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #4
    Well it might have to be $400 for my '06 since the people that have contacted me on wanting it have not replied back.
     
  5. mackage macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2011
    #5
    Anything is going to be an upgrade for you. If your computer still does what you want it to do, then I would WAIT.

    This sandy bridge update isn't much more than last years update, unfortunately.
     
  6. T-800 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #6
    Well if I wait another year my current iMac will be worthing close to nothing. Will next years refresh be THAT big of a jump?
     
  7. Dute macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #7
    Outside of a possible redesign... No, not likely. Put it this way: are you comfortable using your current machine for 10~14 more months?
     
  8. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #8
    The only possible big jumps would be USB3 (not sure if that's due next year or the year after), and SSD storage prices going wayyyy down.
     
  9. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #9
    The waiting game is generally a game not worth playing. The jump is never as big as people expect, and technology will constantly be released, so you would wait for Ivy Bridge and then ask if it was worth waiting for Haswell, and so on. For your situation, now is a perfect time to upgrade. The new systems are very fast, and you would see a huge benefit.
     

Share This Page