Think I should upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techlover828, Dec 19, 2007.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Hey, I have a 2.2 SR MBP with 4 gigs of ram and 120 gig HD. I love it to death, but its not the easiest thing to lug to school (in HS). I am wondering if I should sell now while it's still current and get a good amount of cash and the by the ultra portable mac at MWSF in jan. I know I could get almost what I paid for it (mom's a teacher so got it for 1800). Do you guys think that this is worth all of the hassle? I mean, it is hard to lug around but I don't know, there's a chance that I could get ripped off or they could not come out with an ultraportable laptop at MW. Guys got any thoughts? Thanks for looking.

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'll be honest--you're not going to get much symapthy as a sophomore in high school asking if he needs a new Macbook Pro. Back when I was your age, we didn't even have computers! Well, we did, but I didn't. Well, I had a Powerbook 540c, but I deleted some file off it and it never started again. Those were the days...

4. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

thanks for the input...

It's not that I want to upgrade just to have the cutting edge thing, and I did pay for my MBP, its just that I wasn't sure if you guys thought that it would be worth the hassle to sell and buy it for the portability factor mostly.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Seriously, why do you need your MBP? I've only had to bring in my iBook G3 once, to play a file I made in iMovie. Maybe you could buy something like that to take to school, and leave your pro at home?:confused:

6. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

so you're asking why I need a MBP at school? I don't, but I don't have another laptop to bring to school. I would have bought an imac or something but I live at two houses, which is why I bring my MBP to school most of the time, so its kind of a tuff situation, I guess if I get a car next year I'll just be able to keep it in there or somthing.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

So why bother taking it to school if you don't need it there?

8. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I never understand what people maen when they say they have to "lug" their MBP's around... The thing is 1" thick and only weighs a bit over 5 pounds!!! If that is your idea of "lugging" something then I suggest you start doing some yardwork or at least lift something with your arms a couple of times a day.

Sorry for the rant... to answer your question I would say do not bother until you know for sure that a new on is coming out. The general (eBay) population will still prolly pay the 1800 you spent or close to it for your MBP even when that new stuff comes out.

9. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

He might go to school from House 1 and leave school for House 2 without stopping at House 1, so he takes his laptop to school with him. It's understandable.

If you really think the size of the MBP is a hassle for you, get the smaller one when (well, "if" in my opinion) it comes out. I personally would LOVE to have a 15" notebook, but that's just me. Whatever you're going to feel comfortable with using and what is practical for you, go for it.

10. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

A 15" MBP is heavy???

I have one, and as a college student, it certainly is not heavy.

11. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

ok ok.....i promise not to comment on your need to bring a laptop to HS haha. Its just funny b/c ive always been a nerd and when i was in HS i wished there was a need to have a laptop. perhaps that day has already come.....cough*

honestly, i would just keep your machine. even if you get an ultra portable machine, you are going to sacrifice the raw power, ram, and graphics capabilities.

plus, how heavy is your MBP? give me a break kid...

12. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Seriously
    I had a Dell Inspiron 700m (12INCH LAPTOP!) that ways 4.X pounds
    and then I bought a new SR MBP 15" this summer at 5 pounds (i forgot the exact weight)

Notable Differences?
    Not at all.......

I'm a college student too so I "lug" around the laptop across campus (I got to Purdue University with 38000 people around....and so the campus is huge) and I don't have trouble.

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I have a few kids in my school that use their MBP, but they are in CISCO and Graphic Design courses so I can see why that would need it. For your case, as a HS student that just wants to take notes in class, keep your MBP and buy an old iBook G3 or G4 (if you got money for it). The question that you need to ask yourself is: "Do I need all this GPU and CPU power to take notes?" You will probably say no. Keep the MBP at home and get a G3/G4 and bring that around. Thats what I would do.

14. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

It's the lightest thing in my bag!

And the sexiest. :cool:

I also think that if this person needs a "full-time" computer, for writing papers, with portability, the MBP is the best they can get! The ultra-portable will have a smaller hard drive, a smaller screen...so there are costs to selling the MBP.

15. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If an ultraportable is released, I'm selling my 15''. I've basically got the same model (4gb too) and people here thought it was good for 1800-1900. That should cover a snazzy new 12/13'' Mbp.

16. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ok, its not that it's too heavy it's just that it takes up a lot of space in my backpack. I don't really need it during school (maybe 3 times a month), but I only take it to school because I need to get it to the other house.

also, I'm not a nerd

also, snow day today!!!

17. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

You could sell your MBP now (though people are preoccupied with Christmas)
    and keep the $$$ until Macworld Expo and see what comes out. If the portable didn't materialize, you could buy a MacBook and that's that.

You really need to decide if you want to give up the MBP's power and screen size, because once you sell it, that's that. :confused:

18. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

What would you do if there isn't an ultraportable though.

19. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'd be screwed, that's kind of why I'm asking you guys weather or not it is worth the risk.

20. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'd be more concerned about having that expensive computer with me in high school all the time and I would certainly NOT go the plan of leaving it in the car. Word gets around about stuff like that unfortunately.

Here's a wacky idea - how about getting two machines: one for each house? Say a refurb iMac at one and then a refurb MacBook at the other. And then use that Back To Mac stuff or a .Mac account to sync stuff. That is probably a PIA though.

Sorry to hear that you need to bounce between two residences...

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You could buy a 12" Powerbook if there is no new ultra portable if you don't mind sacrificing a bit of power.

22. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

15" doesn't seem like an unreasonable size ... sounds like you are just trying to think of a reason to upgrade.

23. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I love small notebooks!!! A ultraportable MBP would be too tempting for me to pass on!;) Just bought a MB 2.2 a month ago and have a MBP but I will be trading one(or both) to get a MBP portable!!! Could be the best of both worlds!

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Boy do I agree. There's no "need" for a mbp in 10th grade.

You have a job in the 10th grade and you managed to save up $2000 (with taxes)? Aren't you only allowed to work after the age of 16 in most jurisdictions? Or did you save up allowance money?

To your question, I don't suggest you sell now. There's no guarantee that you'll get the ultra portable you want. Just wait until you have some solid facts. If you do decide you like it, sell your mbp after. You'll still get a lot for it, and it's much more sensible.

25. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

What was your reason for going with the Pro? I'd imagine in high school, a MacBook would be perfectly fine for you. So if you want something smaller, sell the MBP and if an "ultra-portable" is not released, get yourself a MacBook.