Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
Within the last few weeks my MBP went wrong for the first time, after a few visits to Apple they replaces the logic board on the unit covered under consumer law which would have been circa £500! Now I've noticed the keyboard illumination has gone so they are now replacing the top case assembly and batters at a further cost of circa £400, again covered under consumer law...

So I almost now have a brand new machine which is a high spec i7, 500gb SSD and 16gb ram so is still performing very well.

I have multiple USB3 external drives and use my SD card slot a lot from my Fuji cameras, GoPro and DJI Drone. So if I upgrade I have a big initial expense plus all the dongles I need to get my SD card and USB3 drives going on it...

Would you do the same?

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Just depends on if you want to spend $2,000 for a laptop right now seeing as the only comparable mac that would be better than yours would be the high end 13 inch.

I'm sure you could sell yours for at least $1,000...then your cost would only be about $1,000. As for the adapters, yes it may cost you a hundred or two to get them all but I wouldn't worry about that because it's not going to be all that much money.

I would personally get the new one and just sell your old one..Especially since you've already had problems with yours. What if it breaks down again down the line? With a new one you are much less likely to run into issues.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
Yeah I have got to consider that fact as I've already had it away fro repair three times now and it's my work horse! You're probably right in regards to the dongle costs and at least it would give me peace of mind. Need to give it some serious thought. I am sure it will fetch around 1000 as you say and if I do bite the new one would be the 15" for 500GB so I think I am in for around 2700 :eek:

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I have the top of the line late 2013 rMBP and it still runs like a dream. I was possibly going to upgrade to this if a) the pricing had been better (thanks Brexit), b) it came with an OLED screen, and c) I could drop it into my current setup in my office and it'd just work, rather than having to buy 4 adapters so my external screen, sound, iPhone, and SD cards can be connected.

I then thought about just getting an iMac, but looking at the way this line has gone I'm wondering whether that'll lose all connection ports, too.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
You know that's a really good point, just 5 weeks ago I purchased a new iPhone 7+ and the new MBP cannot connect to it via a lead out of the box...

I think the iMac will go the same way with the ports too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.