Think iPhone 7 would go 32/128?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bniu, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

anyone think apple will simplify inventory by selling iPhone 7 with only 32 and 128GB configurations? It'd cut out 1/3 of the permutations Apple currently has to manage. Maybe even offer 32GB in only silver and grey?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

3. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

4. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

No way that is happening. Even if 256 was the new highest capacity, Apple would do something like 32/128/256

5. abdullahm18 macrumors member

They'd probably do 32/128/256.

Keeping a gap between the low range and mid range is always profitable for them.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Can't imagine that happening for a fair few years yet.

7. skiltrip, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

skiltrip macrumors 68030

As much as we condemn Apple for the 16GB model, people are still buying them up. If they are still selling like hotcakes, Apple has no real reason to do away with it. It would be "right thing to do" but that's just not a factor in retail.

8. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Agreed. It is a scummy business model but until people start voting with their wallets, it is here to stay

9. Hunk4u macrumors member

That's huge !! In India, most of the smartphones on Flipkart Mobile store comes with max. of 16 GB and pretty rarely 32 GB. iPhone 7 with 32 GB is OK, but as eyoungren guessed with 64/128/256 - this can be expected after another 2-3 years. By the way, what is the expected date of launching? Does anyone know?

10. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

16 gb entry storage is going to be around for a long time. For the simple fact that having such a low storagd option pushes consumers to buy the higher storage option which makes Apple more money.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yep so really the customer are the ones deciding keeping the 16GB models.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Why would Apple change anything? They offer a base model that many people still buy just to save money, and they have a 64GB model that most people upgrade to because they need the space. It was a brilliant move (in terms of maximizing profit) to keep the 16GB as the base model, but double the next upgrade to 64.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think it is way too early to start this argument. Plenty of time to complain after the 16GB iPhone 7 arrives.:rolleyes:

14. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

How is it a scummy business model? Not everyone needs a lot of storage. Why do people think that what they need equates to everyone else? My wife has used an iPhone for years. She's never been into the App Store or iTunes once. She could easily get by with the base model.

15. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

Will start at 32, god knows what the mid and high range will be maybe 128 and 256

16. geta, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

geta macrumors 6502a

Looks like the 16GB version will stay a bit longer as long as there is demand. dont forget ppl that complaining in this forum and others, are not 1% of the costumers worldwide, unless im wrong...

PS - some people forgetting we are all different with different needs, some think its to less - for others its just perfect. what will happen if they will increase the base storage size to 32GB or even 64GB but the price for the base model will go up as well, let say €100 extra?

17. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

16/64/128. Apple has no reason to change. Thankfully apple made the 64gb option the same price as the 32GB. I don't see much change in the storage tiers aside from that.

18. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I doubt it, though it might make more sense than just 64/128.

128gb makes sense for an ipad pro because it matches the kind of work that the users are likely going to do on it, and I suspect the 32gb model is really there just to upsell users to the 128gb model. You are going to install tons of pro-level apps on it, and workflows like editing video take up tons of space, and 32gb just isn't going to cut it.

32gb might be nice as an entry level iPhone, but 128gb is going to be overkill for the majority of iPhone users. The perceived value proposition of going from 32gb to 128gb is also not as obvious as going from 16gb to 64gb.

That said, I find 32/128 to be more elegant than 32/64/128 though. With 4 different colours to manage now, Apple should streamline their product offerings.

19. bransoj macrumors 6502a

For every self proclaimed "power user" that has their world on their phone and needs 128Gb there will be lots more people who picked up an iPhone alongside their phone contract on an upgrade and just uses it for calls, messaging, some photos, some social media and a bit of browsing with potentially some music for when they go to the gym. 16Gb is plenty for lots of people around the world and its an affordable entry model option for this sort of usage case.

My other half had an 8Gb iPhone 4 for nearly three years and never had an issue!

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, normal people were still buying 8 GB when that was the lowest tier and yet Apple moved on from that at some point. Normal people were still buying when the devices had only 1 GB of RAM and yet Apple moved on from that too (even though that took too long).
    They might as well be offering 8 GB in that case.

21. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

I think they will move up when they are loading more on it initially and feel that it is necessary to create a similar experience for the category of users that they are aiming to serve with the entry model.

22. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I feel certain you are correct. It's all about maximum profits for Apple. To offer a 32 GB model would only benefit the customers.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

So why have they moved from 8 GB to 16 GB as the base at some point? Or started offering 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB of RAM finally?

24. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Oh, that's an easy one. It's also why I find so much enjoyment in being an Apple customer, you simply never know what's up their sleeve. :D

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If we saw a base model at 64gb I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of folks who opted finger something bigger than 16gb would just get the base model. As happy as I would be with buying abase model I just don't see this happening.

32gb is a fair base size considering the cost of the device to begin with. If this was a $300 entry level device I could justify16gb. At $650 I have serious moral issues.

I realize this is about being a business and making money. But Apple also reminds us every keynote about how they're about enriching lives and making beautiful products usable by everyone. They also mention sustainability and recyclability. A 16gb phone , I would think, is much less likely to stand the test of time (in terms of longevity before being ultimately scrapped). I don't see many people using a 16gb 6s plus four years down the road, despite the phone otherwise being powerful enough spec wise to stand that test of time.