Think its a good time to buy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TechnoTranceRm, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TechnoTranceRm macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a generic question but since the ipod touch 2g has been out for a bit and I usually like to be in the loop. Especially technology because it updates faster than you can blink your eyes. that was an overstatement but you know what I mean.

Im really cautious on wanting to buy one because its quite a bit of cash. I know there will most likely be a 3g model out so think its wise to pick one up now. I look at this website called buyersguide.com under macrumors and it sais the ipod touch 2g is in mid-product cycle. I thought about buying the 32 GB and maybe trying to sell it on ebay and make up the difference or even or another way to do it is take it and smash it while under warentee so I can get a new one and sell it for a bit higher. What is everyones thoughts?

Sorry if the smashing and taking from apple sounds immoral but its not like taking candy from a baby. Their the one stealing by making us pay .99c a song.

First post by the way.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

A new iPod touch probably won't come out until September, since that's the Apple product cycle for iPods.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, screw them for making us pay for their service. :rolleyes:

They're 69 cents now, by the way. You're not going to get much sympathy from anyone here if you're opposed to paying the second cheapest rate on the Internet for songs.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Um, what makes you think that OBVIOUS PHYSICAL ABUSE is covered by manufacturer's warranty?

That's a horrible idea, BTW, from more than one angle.

-- Nathan

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

and hopefully your last if that's the kind of moral attitude you're going to be bringing to the forums.

Nah, I think he should do it. It'd be pretty funny for him to walk into an Apple Store with a smashed iPod and ask for a new one. The sales reps would just roll their eyes.

6. TechnoTranceRm thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright maybe i was in the wrong. All im saying is that i want to get one but don't want to wait a few months to get it. Id rather it have a long life than 6 months and its outdated. The smashing was in the back of my head. Yes it is wrong but it was jsut a thought. I also think that 99c a song is over the top. 69 c songs are for unpopular songs. The popular ones are 99, i heard some talk of 1.69 songs and that is absolutely ludachris. Thats why I get mine free.

7. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

There is no sense worrying about the next gen version because when that comes out it'll also be outdated in a year. Just buy what you want now and stop worrying about whether it'll be hot in a year.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Take that up with the record companies (the ones that you brag about stealing from) that get pretty much all of that money.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

There won't be any real hardware upgrades until next September.
    Although, if you want to get one with the biggest amount of space as possible then I would recommend waiting until the end of February in case a 64GB model is released.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You do realize that you can still buy CDs. that way you don't have to pay $.99 per track, and you don't have to steal. Win, win.

11. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Heh, maybe you're right. Okay, I've changed my mind. In fact, I dare...no, I double dog dare him (OP) to try it. ;)

-- Nathan

12. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

The 32GB model still has the skipping issue with ALAC unresolved. But if you are listening to AAC, it should be fine.

Personally, I'm waiting for a fix on that first.

13. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm waiting until September. But obviously, I don't need it that bad. :p

14. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

There won't be any proper updates until September. Only maybe a new high end 64gb version.

The songs will be priced at .69c .99c and $1.29. But you can continue pirating, hey, its been in the news that the RIAA is quitting going after people like you, so you should have an easier time of it in the future :p

15. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

+1, I want to see the thread he starts saying "I smashed my iPod up and Apple won't replace it, the thieving *&!@*"

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well stop stealing. Doesn't matter how ridiculous the price is, you still have to pay. Sure you might not get arrested for pirating songs, but it's immoral and called theft. No different than walking into a store and exiting with a new notebook without payment. People like you and your beliefs jack up the prices the rest of us have to pay. Thanks a lot. So stop pirating and make the prices drop for ALL of us. Not just you or your friends. ALL of us in general.

With that being said, I usually skip a generation. I bought the 1st gen for a good deal, skipping the 2nd gen. I'm probably buying an iPhone soon so I'm also skipping the 3rd gen as well.

LOL. :D

17. beeh macrumors regular

While I don't agree with pirating music, the price of CDs has always been way too high since their inception. I was in high school when they started releasing music on CDs - there was no "public" internet and only pirating between friends copying CDs to cassette ( no CD-CD copy yet ). I always bought mine on a college campus used, they were 1/2 - 1/3 price of new - which was about right.

The thing with buying individual songs is that most people only want 1-2 songs per CD, so the prices of individual songs should be higher, $.99 is not too expensive for that since not as many full CDs would be sold.

That being said, if the OP wants a Touch, buy it now, I've had one for over a year ( 16GB 1st gen. ) and I ( still ) love it. Don't worry about the next generation yet, it you keep thinking that way, you'll never buy anything new ( and cool ).

18. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

What the heck does this mean? And it is only the 32GB's with this problem?

19. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

ALAC is Apple Lossless format. There's been an issue where songs skip while they're playing if they're in Apple lossless, and yes the issue seems to only affect the 32gb versions, only 2nd gen touches as well, I think. If the music is in AAC or mp3, this doesn't happen.