Think I've solved my hi-res dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snerkler, Feb 15, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

As some may know I'm looking at buying a 15" MBP and couldn't decide whether or not to go for the hi-res or not. I went into store and tried them both and found that the hi-res made certain things too small for me. The main things were using safari or google chrome. I found text on websites to small, and the text in the search bar and bookmarks bar too small. People suggested that I could zoom on each page, and whilst this may be a good solution for some it wasn't for me. I would like it to be larger by default so I don't have to zoom every time I opened a page, plus if you zoom you lose part of the screen. The quality of the screen was far superior though imo.

Anyway, I went back to store today to try the hi-res again to see if I could get used to it. I still had the same issue though, mainly text size on websites and google searches (I use the web A LOT). The apple guy tried to suggest all sorts but there wasn't a solution I was happy with, right until I was just about to leave thinking I'm either going to have to wait to see if the new MBP's have retina display, or go for the poorer quality screen. The guy was messing about with the settings and found something which was a very satisfactory solution for me. In the safari preferences there's an option to set the minimum text size. I set this to 14 and it was perfect. Large enough to read without destroying the layout of the web pages. Changing the minimum text size any higher than 14 did start to make the web pages look funny, but I don't need to go any higher than 14. So finding this made my mind up easily, I'm going to go for hi-res glossy. I prefer the richness of colour in the glossy compared to the anti-glare,and the reflections don't bother me.

Now I just need to figure out how to migrate the OS and software etc when I swap out the HDD for SSD (see my other thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1324349)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hi res glossy here. The video rocks for video editing (15" 2.66 i7 from 2010) and applications like Google Earth look really incredible on that screen. Enjoy it!