Think My iPod Touch Is Dead

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by duncyboy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

OK, became the (very) happy owner of a 32GB 2G Touch about 3 weeks ago. Been working fine- couldn’t have been hunky dorier. Last night, was using it as usual and everything was fine. Connected it to my iMac to sync and top up the battery then later in the evening put the Mac to sleep.

Restarted my Mac this morning- iTunes was still running and I ejected the Touch. Went and got ready for work, picked my Touch up on my way out and when I got down to the car- nothing. Zilch. Tried holding the Wake/Sleep button and Home button together for about 15 seconds. Went back inside, tried to connect it to my Mac- didn’t show up in iTunes and screen didn’t power on.

Assuming 1 of 2 things:

1) Somehow completely dead battery and it showed in iTunes because I left it like that when it was charged. Maybe I left something running by mistake and the battery’s dead?

2) Dead iPod.

I’ve left it attached to my Mac for today and set Leopard not to sleep in case it is the battery. If that doesn’t work does anyone have any tips I could try before ringing Apple?

I bought it from the online store but live about an hour from an Apple store- will they look at it for me if it is dead?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update:

I went home from work this afternoon to see if it had taken a charge and it hadn't. 'twas still deader than any doornail.

I rang Applecare and went through a few questions and checks with the guy and he said it'd need to be returned. I asked if it was possible to go to the Apple Store in Manchester even though I bought it online and he booked me an appointment to see a Genius over the phone.

Got to the Trafford store, waited for my turn at the Genius Bar and was greeted by Malcolm, a very friendly and very helpful chap. He tried a couple of things including connecting it to a mains adaptor. The Apple logo from a reset came on the screen but it went no further. He tried a couple more things- still locked. He said he wasn't sure what the problem was but it felt like the bottom third of the battery was unusually warm and the rest wasn't. He said because they're so new he doesn't know of any issues and isn't 100% with all the quirks of the new iPod range yet.

He said he could either order a replacement engraved one online for me there and then or, if they had one in stock, he could give me a non-engraved one right now. I asked for the plain one now if that was OK and waited with fingers crossed while he checked the stock...
    and they had two left! :D

He gave it to me there and then, explained how the original warranty period still stands. I asked about Applecare for iPods and it's £35 for 12 months. Seeing as how the iPod cost £289 I will deffo invest in that in the future. We chatted briefly about Applecare, my old iPod 5G which I'd used on the car journey etc and I left with a spankers 32GB replacement Touch.

Now, although I'm not over the moon my iPod should die after a couple of weeks use I s'pose it's par for the course with electronics these days. I don't judge companies on how well their products go from day one but rather what they're willing to do when they do break.

I found the Applecare Helpline and the Genius Bar staff to be very friendly, very helpful- I'd deffo give Malcolm at the Trafford Centre 10 out of 10 for customer service, he was great.

3. reubs macrumors 68000

Hey, sorry for the crappy experience with the product, but thanks for the positive evaluation of the Apple store. Too often we only report about what sucks with stores, and it shows some great character that you'd take the time to post and say "Helluva job".

Nice work!

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have always liked the Apple service. I went in there with a problem on my iPod and it had to do with my laptop but the laptop was a pc and they fixed my pc just because i had an ipod. also i called since my 1st gen was getting really hot and i received a replacement in 5 days. i thought that it wouldnt go through since i took it apart a couple times and the corners were all slit and the black front was cracked all over but they still gave me a brand new one. The best companies i received service from were Apple and Dell, my dell was 7 years old and there still fixing it for me free. i called toshiba about a 1.5 year old laptop that died and they had a recall on it i didnt know about and they plainly told me that it is my problem not theirs!

p.s. Sony is great to.