Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Love the iPad but now I am wondering if I should get a 11 inck MacBook air instead, I have been living with just my iPad , but this might be a great idea or keep it ugh.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Love the iPad but now I am wondering if I should get a 11 inck MacBook air instead, I have been living with just my iPad , but this might be a great idea or keep it ugh.

If you have the money keep the iPad and get a Macbook Air too :)

I love my iPad but I still need a real "desktop" OS for a lot of things.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Depends on what your use will be.

If I didn't have any other computer, I couldn't live with just an iPad. As a second and replacement for a laptop I'm fine.

One thing that took my iPad to the next level was getting a keyboard/folio. For me I went with zaggfolio, but there are other options such as the apple bluetooth keyboard and smart cover, less expensive options as well.

It's really a simple question.

Is there anything you find yourself incapable of doing on your iPad?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Miata or motorcycle.

Both are great. Each has different strengths.

No general way to say one's better than the other - depends on the individual's needs/preferences.

You're going to have to make this decision.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I would never just own an iPad without a computer of any sort... the iPad in it's current state is a supplement device to a computer.

All of my media is moved from my computer to my iPad so there is no way I could be able to go on just an iPad... but unless you're not like me who DLs tv shows regularly to watch at the gym and can make it work you should stick with it.

I loved my MBA when I had one though. It was much better to use when out on set or if I was just out and about. The thing just does a lot more... so I say return the iPad and get an Air.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Computer first, iPad second.

Getting an iPad without a computer is like getting an iPod touch without getting a cellphone. Convincing yourself that you can utilize the iPod touch to make calls with Google Voice when connected on Wi-Fi just doesn't cut it.

So many things a computer can do that an iPad can't.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Right now guys, I can't afford both, as my income is not there and my health is pretty bad, I am hoping to sell my large new home wthis summer and already have a tiny home I am trying to fix up, so for me finances are a bit rough.

I called apple they said I could return it to them which will be about 10 days turnaround, since I paid with a gift card.
I could use my daughters pc but I am not looking forward to it:(

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
If I had to choose between an iPad and a MacBook Air, I'd go with the MacBook Air. Doesn't compare if you use it to get things done.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I also know if I go and buy a windows laptop I would not be happy so I paid 500.00 for the iPad and got 325.00 for my iPad 2 apple has a refurb for 849.00 I need the lit keyboard because of my eyes.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
A baseline MacBook Air is nearly twice the price of a baseline iPad 3.

You can add an Apple Bluetooth keyboard to an iPad 2 for under $500, a real keyboard is much better experience IMHO than a touchscreen one.

Still I'm writing this on my 13" MacBook Pro even though I have an iPad...

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I am lucky and have both - Macbook Air 13" and new iPad. If I had to pick only one, I'd return the iPad. The Macbook Air is wonderful for all tasks and very portable. Just my personal opinion.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am lucky and have both - Macbook Air 13" and new iPad. If I had to pick only one, I'd return the iPad. The Macbook Air is wonderful for all tasks and very portable. Just my personal opinion.

If those were my only two choices, me too. Luckily I have a desktop, so I'd choose the iPad.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

Get both, or

Get 11 Air and 16GB iPad 2 or

Get 11 Air and 16GB iPad or

Get 11 Air..

The Air takes 15 seconds to boot, and it a sweet computer.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
If I had to choose, I'd get the MacBook Air. Even if I had to go with the 11 inch. The iPad is awesome, I use it more than I do my computers, but for some things it's just easier to use a computer.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I have both and while I love the iPad it isn't a laptop replacement. That said, I haven't had my laptop out in a few days now that I have my iPad. I just wouldn't be comfortable not having a true computer to use when I need it.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I would wait till the new Airs come out. High-Res Screens, Ram Boost, Graphics Upgrade, Battery Boost, and who knows what else.

Besides take it from someone that has both I LOOOOVVVE my 13" Air but it only comes out when I need to get some fast work done. I sometimes feel it just wastes away in its bookarc.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
If it is one or the other, I'd go with the MBA. If you have already have a computer, laptop or desktop, I'd go with the iPad.

I'll probably replace my MBP (upon it's death) with an iMac, now that I have an iPad.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I would have to choose the full fledged computer over the iPad. The iPad still has some limitations to consider it a replacement to a laptop. My vote is

MBA!

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
It really depends on what you will be using it for...as others have said.

I will say that I just started using my iPad 3 with a Zagg Folio case and it is a really great addition. The keyboard is excellent (not backlit though) and incorporates great shortcut keys as well. For general Internet, media use and moderate photography (with the camera connection kit) this could be all most people would ever need.

But of course there are some things only full blown PC's can do. If you couldn't live without those things then you would probably not need to even ask the question.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Not a bad idea,

Except screens won't cover color gamut like the newPad.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
I did this with the first iPad. Never regretted it.

However I picked up an ipad3 this weekend on a whim, and it's night and day better than the ipad1.

I must say though the MBA will still travel with me on a 3 month business trip starting tomorrow.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
This one is easy. Macbook Air first, iPad 3 second.

I like the new iPad, think it's great. Can the iPad replace a Macbook Air? No way, not if you have serious work to get done. Also, Macbook Air is best laptop I've ever owned, period -- it's a great machine I could rely on exclusively for extended business trips. Not so with iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.