Think Sony will ever let us PAY to upgrade our non-backwards compat PS3s?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spaceballl, Feb 13, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So I bought my PS3 after a lucky win in Vegas. I just bought the cheapest one since I didn't already own a PS2. I figured that since I didn't own a PS2, I didn't have any PS2 games, and therefore, no need for backwards compatibility. I recently upgraded my hard drive to 200GB.

In any case, I really want to play MGS4 and GOW3 (when it comes out), but I feel like I wouldn't be doing the games justice if I didn't play the originals first. I'm not going to buy a PS2 just to play those games and I'd even pay up to like $50 to upgrade my PS3. Since the newer systems use software to emulate the PS2, I hope they offer this at some point.

I suppose the alternative would be for them to release the God of War / MGS series as PSN downloads, which I'd be fine with too. And I guess I'd get rid of load times that way too.

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

from my understanding. it would be easy for sony to up it in as a download as the last backwards compatable ps3 system was software base. but i doupt they would because they probably could make more money selling games as downloads and not allowing it.

3. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

NO! I dont like that misconception. The 80gb backwards compatable models use software emulation for the processor ONLY, the PS2's graphics card is still put in the system.

4. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i believe the emotion engine was the last piece of ps2 hardware in the ps3. but the last revision removed it. and had a software only emulation.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160917
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12909

so my guess is that they could make a download version of the ps2. but would not want to.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't believe that's correct about newer models...

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I think buying a PS2 would be the best solution. You wouldn't need to worry about compatibility issues and everything would be seamless. Not to mention a PS2 Slim is really tiny.

I don't know if it's still 129.99 but even at that price it's still cheap, especially for all the amazing games that are available for it.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I have a wall mounted TV w/ a floating shelf under it w/ my PS3 and HD TiVo. Really no room for a PS2...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sony have no plans to introduce the PS2 hardware back into the PS3. They still make a loss on each console, so the likelihood of putting an additional component - that they have already decided to take out - is simply a non starter.

So your left with four choices.

a) Track down a second hand first revision featuring ps2 hardware.
    b) Buy a PS2
    c) Move on and let it go......
    d) Wait on the never-never promise of those games appearing on PSN

Either way to answer your thread title.... No, no chance. Move on.... :)

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmm your response is interesting. I was never asking for Sony to put PS2 hardware inside a PS3. Current PS3s emulate the PS2 with a software layer. This software only comes with the more expensive PS3 SKU. I was merely speculating that maybe they would allow this software to be downloaded.... so those who got the cheaper SKU, and then later regretted it, could still get the emulation.

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The current PS3's do no emulating. The originals had both PS2 chipsets built in, the 2nd and last revision to have backwards compatibility in them still had the EE chip but the CPU was software emulated.

This was always a software and hardware based soolution, since your newer sku'd PS3 has no PS2 hardware in it your only choices are what MRU has suggested. While harsh its the truth, live with it.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Double post.. how did that happen... delete please.

12. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i will post this again.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12909

it was confirmed by sony that the EE chip was removed and it was all software emulation on the last revision of ps3 that was backwards compatible.
    now that is was all software they could do it. will they do it is another question. i do not think they ever will.

13. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks for the clarification!

Some pretty snarky, and incorrect, responses on this thread!

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

especially the ones that beleive everything they read on websites :rolleyes: Yes eys bokdol I believe your site, sure :p;):rolleyes:

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Umm I don't think it was all software. The EE was removed but there was another piece of hardware used along w/ software emulation in the non 60/20GB PS3's for BC. 60GB/20GB had hardware for PS2, which is why it ran most of all games flawlessly

16. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It wasn't all software, however people can think what they like :D They ditched the hardware portion to save money on production costs. If it was software only there would have been no cost savings which would make it seem a bit silly to take it out now wouldn't it?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Now now ed... You shouldn't be bringing common sense into threads like this. ;)