Think Tank Airport Security Bag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by puckhead193, Nov 28, 2011.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I know Think Tank bags are highly recommended because they are durable and their warranty/customer service is really great. I was looking into a roller bag for my camera and came across this bag. Does anyone here have one? How do the wheels hold up? I shoot HS sports and walking to these fields from the parking lot with all my gear is annoying so I was thinking of a roller bag. How well does it roll on grass/non-paved pathways?

Thanks!

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I am limited with travel in that I must first fly on commuter jets (50 seaters) to get to a hub airport, so my carry on is limited. Lowpro's Pro Roller x200 fits the bill. It breaks apart into a backpack that will fit in the overhead on the commuter and you can check the outer bag either at the check in counter, or what I do is tag it at the plane entrance door and pick it up when we land. Then I can put the bag back together again when I board a regular sized plane. I picked up a new one on eBay for about $70 less. I could have bid on a slightly used one and saved even more but chose not to. Something to think about. You never know what your connecting flight(s) will be when your original flight plans are changed -which happens often enough, unfortunately, nowadays. Lowepro is less expensive than Think Tank and has many of the same features for a lower price Just a few thing to consider.

3. egis macrumors member

Think Tank Airport Security Bag

puckhead193:

Suggest you check out http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/headline-i-switched-to-canon-world-still-turns/

While the article is about switch brands, there are plenty of mentions about ThinkTank and this particular bag. The last paragraph of the article ought to close it for you.... I have the ThinkTank StreetWalker Hard Drive as well as the beltpack SpeedFreak V2 - terrific products...you cannot go wrong with any of their offerings.

4. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was looking into that bag at the store. I don't like I have to remove the bag in order to use it as a backpack. Lets say I'm walking in the parking lot etc. and the field is muddy etc. The straps on the think tank are quick deployment so I don't have to worry about unzipping the bag.

Does anyone have a free shipping code for think tank? It would be greatly appreciated!!

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Whatever works for you is fine. Just saying, that the Lowepro was big enough for all of my gear, yet if need be I could take it apart and travel with my camera gear on the plane and not checked in to be rifled through by baggage handlers or stored in the baggage hold of the plane in flght. This way I can keep my equipment near and dear to me.

6. SOLLERBOY, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I have the Airport International. I got it last December after going though many different bags. Never bought any other brand since. Think tank is the best quality brand by far. Loads better than and crumpler or Lowepro I've had.

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I do not discount the Think Tank quality, but the Airport International did not meet the size requirements for smaller commuter jets' overhead or under seat. At least not when I checked the size requirements at two of the local airports I need to fly out of. Just sayin'

8. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've flown on US airways Internals (USA), Continental(transatlantic), Monarch,Jet2 (Europe) and it's always been fine but I can see it being a problem on smaller prop jets. Great bag though. The included security features are very good.

9. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I'm late to reply here but wanted to add a solid vote for the ThinkTank Airport Security. I've been using mine for years and love it. My wife has the International.

It is without a doubt the most used rolling bag I see these days in photo workrooms.

10. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

Think Tank Airport

Another thumbs up for think tank.
    My airport wheel on suitcase has performed brilliantly for the last couple of years. No problems whatsoever with the wheels. Highly recommended. One of the earlier posters however did raise a problem with the size. He is right, the bigger bag of the two Airport bags can be larger than smaller commuter airlines allow, but the smaller one should be ok. I also have the Thinktank Shapeshifter backpack which fits perfectly into the Airport suitcase with all its stuff in, so if I ever have a problem I just remove my gear and check in the suitcase. Its only happened once though (AA flight Miami to Haiti).

11. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I have the Airport Security v2.0 Rolling Camera Bag; its amazingly solid. I haven't had much application of going "off road" with it, but I'd not expect it to be inferior to anything I've ever used/seen.

Their website suggests that the wheels aren't great on gravel (hence, the included & integrated backpack straps), plus they state: "If you wear out the wheels, we provide a free kit so you can replace the wheels."

I've been quite happy with my larger "Domestic" TT as well. My main caveat is that I've been travelling internationally with it and I often have to put the domestic sideways in the overhead compartment, which takes up more room for everyone. As such, I'd like to try to move down one size to the International, which will require me to split my gear between two bags - - I've just picked up & used the TT Urban Disguise 50 v2.0, which I think will work for my needs - - I'm packing a housed dSLR underwater system, and the big sticking point is the 8" diameter dome port. Well, the housing, two big honking strobes, etc, doesn't help either (packed TT bag illustration 1 & 2).

Some of those "small commuter jet" overheads are so bad that they don't really fit anything more than a jacket...and a light one at that. For under-seat, some full sized jets have gotten bad - - I think it was from being refitted with in-flight entertainment sytems (utility boxes hidden under some rows): it would appear that the "least bad" seat has become the loathed middle seat.

In any case, I'm in NJ and if the OP is regionally nearby and wants to give it a try, I don't anticipate needing to use it for the next ~2 months and can make it a loan.

Along those same lines, I'd like to borrow someone's TT International for a day (no travel) to see if I can reconfigure my gear to fit into that. If it works, I'll have my "domestic" TT Security for sale at a good discount.

-hh