Think the iPad will be useful for medical students?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ero87, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    As I am about to begin medical school, I've been looking forward to the iPad announcement - I'm hoping it will replace the need for huge expensive textbooks and give me a great option for studying on the go.

Do you all think that the iPad, as announced today, will fit that bill? I was hoping for a really dynamic textbook reading experience - built-in animations, quizzes, images, movies. But it seems that the iBooks app just shows text and images. Any optimism that the iPad will be a med student's dream?
  2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006
    It will in time, but text book makers are certainly not pumping out the content yet. Steve made a side remark today about textbooks, but made little mention.

(No McGraw Hill mention either)
  3. gibbz macrumors 68030

May 31, 2007
    I think it can be if developers target it. The iPhone has all kinds of cool medical stuff like Epocrates, Medscape, and Netter's flash cards ... to name a few. As far as textbooks go, I guess you'll just have to wait and see if they come out with something. My guess is that they will.
  4. NT1440 macrumors G4

May 18, 2008
    Hartford, CT
    It will be good at whatever developers make it good at.
  5. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Jan 8, 2009
  6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Yah definitely. If I can't monitor a remote EKG, twitter and watch my favorite high definition movie rental all at the same time this thing is a JOKE.
  7. Surely Guest

Oct 27, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think that it'll be useful in a clinic setting once the devs prepare a good clinic notes program.

For med students..... not so much now. Maybe in 5 years, but the textbook makers meed some time to catch up to the technology.
  8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Jul 8, 2008
    I bet your books on the ipad will be more expensive cause you won't be able to buy them used or sell them when your done.

But I do think hospitals would love to have these devices with there own custom apps for paient info and stuff. I think medical industry is all about Star trek TnG with all there communicator badges and stuff.