Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Pretty basic quesion. And if the phone is stolen, does the fingerprint scannner make the phone useless to the thief? Will it stop them from them turning off programs like find my iphone? Wonder if need to scan to reboot the phone or completely wipe it.

How effective tool do you think, if any this will stop thefts.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
They'll probably still be able to put it into DFU mode, and turn it off etc. More useful in this scenario would be iOS 7's Activation Lock IMO.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Pretty basic quesion. And if the phone is stolen, does the fingerprint scannner make the phone useless to the thief? Will it stop them from them turning off programs like find my iphone? Wonder if need to scan to reboot the phone or completely wipe it.

No but the new security feature making you log back into the Apple ID that was on the device if it is restored or something will stop some theft.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013

Nothing will stop theft. Even if you can remotely brick your phone people will steal it for parts (screens are expensive to replace).

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Nothing will stop theft. Even if you can remotely brick your phone people will steal it for parts (screens are expensive to replace).

This.

People will steal regardless if they'll be able to fully use the item stolen.

Think people stealing a car and stripping the parts.

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
I read that after a few attempts with the Touch ID, the phone will revert to asking for a passcode instead of using the fingerprinting scanner. If this is the case, the fingerprinting is only for convenience, and does not give any additional security. A thief can just try the scanner until it asks for a passcode and then guess your passcode same as before.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If you leave your phone at a bar and a dishonest person takes it, he or she doesn't care, to them it's a free device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.