Think they will replace this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonnysods, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I am wondering if I will be wasting my time by calling Apple care with this, so help me out.

My power adapter for my MBP is coming apart where the wire joins on to the white box - the silver wire is exposed. It still works, but I'm not happy that it's coming apart like that after moderate use (and I haven't even had it for a year).

Do you reckon that they will replace it for me, or fix it? I'd love it if they replaced it with one of those smaller ones!

Let me know before I give them a buzz.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They replaced it for me and many others, just phone your local store :)

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If the issue is not caused by the user and is a manufacturing defect, Apple will fix or replace the item.

Anyhow, why not call and find out?

4. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem with my MBP Power adapter. I took it to an Apple Store's Genius bar, one look at it and they worked up a replacement order. 5 minutes later I was out the door with a brand new adaptor.

5. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

Sweet - I wish I lived nearer to an Apple store - I hope they give me the samller one then!

Thanks for the encouragement guys - I'll give them a call in a few minutes....

6. geissap macrumors member

Yep just tell em your power adapter is fraying at the bend relief. They'll replace it. Anytime a power adapter is fraying at the bend relief your good. If it's fraying in the middle of the cable more than likely not. And this is if your in warranty of course. If your not...no bueno.

7. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

Bummer

Well, at least they are replacing it - but now with the newer adpaters. I thought they stopped making the big fat ones?

I am very pleased again with Applecare's services. Well worth the extra coin.

8. swami16 macrumors newbie

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You shouldn't have any problems getting it replaced...

10. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

Sweet!

My replacement arrived today - and it is the smaller power adapter! That's pretty cool! A little bit more room in my bag!

Top notch customer service!

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to roll the cable this way (see picture). No one I know that handles the cord properly has any problems. There are two wings that flips out.

Attached Files:

12. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

I know

I know how to wrap it around - they Applecare guy even told me how to do it - I told him that I hadn't been wrapping it tight or anything at all - the rubber stuff just came away from the power block. I think it's down to overuse - I bring the computer in to my office for work, pack it away at night, take it all over the place. It's just one of those things.

I treat my MBP like a baby!

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The adapter is defective; replacing it is the least they could do.