Think we will ever see OS X on an AMD system?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SRLMJ23, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

2. Frozzie macrumors regular

You gotta be kidding right? AMD is finished as far as processor market is concerned. Intel is the way to go for performance, AMD is just budget.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously no.

4. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would be surprised if there is not a version of ML that runs on amd and ppc still to this day in apples research labs

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

agreed.

Lion on PPC, heh. Imagine how slow that would be.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Um-m-m, no--not necessarily. If you think that PPC is a 300 MHz PowerPC 604, then I will concede the point. However, it is not 1997 anymore. When Apple abandoned the PowerPC, its primary processor was the PowerPC 970. The PPC 970 aka G5, was a single-chip implementation of the POWER4 chip set. The POWER5 was IBM extant version of the POWER architecture. That was six years ago. Today, IBM's extant version of the POWER chip set is the POWER7. The fastest POWER7 systems have clock speeds of 5 GHz and 64 cores in 32 chips.

Without question, Apple's switch to Intel has been a success beyond everyone's wildest expectations. The switch played a significant role in Apple's rise to be the richest corporation on Earth. I am one of those people who take it as an article of faith that Apple has builds for several non-Intel ISAs running in its labs.

Not sticking with Intel for its iOS devices certainly has not hurt Apple. I have no expectation that Apple will return to PowerPC. However, a Mac Pro running a single-chip implementation of POWER7 or its successor(s) would be absolutely awesome.

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I kid, I kid. ;) I realize now I didn't add any sort of indication to that effect. I am really thinking of my only recent experience with PowerPCs, my dual-2.0 G5. The PowerMac felt fast, and was the fastest computer I'd owned, until I bought my MBP last year. :p I think another architecture becoming commonplace would be very interesting but it would take quite an event for Apple to switch again.

Heh, imagine...deep inside Apple R&D...Lion running on PS3s... ;)

9. jackrv macrumors 6502

We already have, just not legally: [​IMG]

10. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Intel processors = FAST but bad on battery
    AMD processors = OK and good on battery

Btw, that video is not true.