Think we will see this same design next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rooftop voter, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

You guys think we will see this same antenna band, glass back design? I'm kinda hoping they switch to something a little more comfortable and durable next year. Now, hopefully I can keep this thing safe for the next 361 days, lol.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Modified, but yes, pretty much same form factor. It's not feasible to design a new FF every year.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I could see a reworked version of this design, with as some engineers have suggested, two antennas so that if the user is holding the left hand side, an antenna on the right can take over.

4. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Maybe they will figure out a way where they can use a one piece band as an antenna, because my service has increased dramitcally with the new design. I got FULL bars at my house today when I used to get 1

5. Russiaone macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 is beautiful. They BETTER bring it back next year.

6. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I think itll be pretty much the same. better internals. fixed antenna design. maybe more colors. but the same.

8. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Apple is going out of business because of this antenna thing. We're using the last iPhone ever.

:rolleyes:

9. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

I highly doubt there will be knew colors

Apple has not really done anything like that since they changed their logo from the colored one

10. stphnman20 macrumors regular

Yes I believe so.. Maybe a little change here and there but nothing big.. :apple:

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm betting it won't change just like 3G to 3GS.

12. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I hope not. The iPhone 4 is super uncomfortable in hand.
    But honestly, who knows.
    I think one of the reasons they threw the 3GS out with the same form as the 3G was because they were working on the iPhone 4... I mean the 2G iPhone to 3G was different... Maybe it will be different... we don't know.

13. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, the metal back on the 2g was a one cyle run. I'm hopin the glass back is the same.

14. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

It looks nice. But durability is something that the iPhone 2G had down! I dropped that thing everyday and it's still working now...

15. _Matt macrumors 6502

Unibody aluminum with plastic antennas for iPhone 5. :D

16. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I predict generally the same, with something slight (dark writing to shiny writing on the back, for example) to tell them apart.

17. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I love the phone but dont like the glass back. It feels like it will shatter if dropped - I keep mine in a holster but use in naked so I am a little concerned about durability for the 2 year haul.

18. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

What were you doing with your phone? You dropped it everyday?

19. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be sweet if they brought back the aluminum back, but I'd be happy with something that will just be more durable.

20. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

idc but if they can fix the stupid issue with the antenna they will most likely keep it.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would expect a similar design. Thin. Squarish. Like it is now.

My guess is they might tweak the antenna arrangement which may give it a slightly different look.

We may see a upgraded camera, more memory and a faster A4. These won't affect the case.

At first, I thought that we would see colors. But now, after seeing the iPhone 4, to keep a more business image, I would venture to say that colors will come via cases and covers.

22. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Idk, it always fell. Like all the time. Today it's dented and stuff, but the back didn't shatter... This is why I'm not getting the iPhone 4.... :mad:

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was a one cycle run because of the aluminum back not being conductive to 3G reception.

But it's possible if they run out of new features to add to the iPhone 4 (like the 3G, which only added 3G and GPS), they just might change the form factor to provide some incentive for upgrading.

24. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I don't think this iPhone is really that much less durable than previous models. I know the back is glass, but all the stories I've read about people dropping them and nothing happening are making me think that maybe the durability topic is just the "thing" to complain about.

I've seen many many iPhone 3GS come to the Genius Bar with backs that are totally cracked and mangled.

My iPhone 4 doesn't have a case on it, because I'm pretty confident that it'll be alright.

25. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I think that we will see basically the same form factor next year, with tweaks to the antenna design. A 2 year product cycle (on the external housing, anyway) allows Apple to get a good return on investment in the setup costs for manufacturing. The longer you utilize the same manufacturing design, the more profitable it becomes. And Apple is all about profits!