Think we'll get DivX/Xvid with the SDK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Jan 3, 2008.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if the SDK will allow a lot of under-the-hood development, but if it does, we should expect to see more video codecs, or at least better media players, right? I'm hoping VLC will do a port! That would be amazing!

This device is so damn capable, even more than jailbreaking can offer - I think we've got some really, really cool things ahead of this SDK is all we hope it will be.

2. docprego macrumors 65816

I wonder how much latitude Apple will allow developers. Will there be freeware? Shareware? Or will we see only Apple approved apps for sale via iTunes?

This should be very interesting how it all pans out.

3. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Seeing how freakin' greedy Apple is now becoming ( 99 cents for a ringtone of a song you've already paid for!?!?!?), I wouldn't be surprised if they only allowed apps purchased through iTunes. Thank God for all these hackers and developers.

4. cjmal macrumors 6502

Im sure the ringtone pricing isn't Apple's fault. You think Apple would've convinced the record labels to sell ringtones for 75, 50, 25 cents? Come one, look at how greedy record labels and the RIAA are.

5. docprego macrumors 65816

Hackers would mean jailbreaking the iPhone which is exactly what the SDK would allow us to avoid. I wouldn't imagine that just anyone can write apps with the SDK.

6. Weezy F Baby macrumors member

Divx? Are you serious? Apple would never let that out. That would just encourage people to use something besides a movie/tv show bought in the iTunes store. NOT HAPPENING