Think we'll see a touch-cover and type-cover clone for an iPad soon?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

[​IMG]

Earlier in the month Microsoft unveiled their new tablet called the Surface, however it appears that much of the media attention was focused on the keyboard accessory that came with it. Like the Apple smart cover, its magnetic and latches onto the sides.

However the interior is a keyboard. The touch cover is unique in that it uses pressure based keys while the type cover is more traditional and slightly thicker.

Think we'll see something like this coming to the iPad? the Logitech ultrathin is probably the closest thing so far.. but is considerably thicker.
    one thing I wonder is how the MS covers hold their internal batteries.

2. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

I was wondering the same.
    But from what I think..even if they do..they can't make something that is exactly a carbon copy of the type-cover..because the iPad doesn't have a back stand like the Surface. So the covers are required to come with some sort of stand that holds it up.

That is the only design complication as far as I see that will prevent a total copy of the type-cover.
    Also what you said about the battery..

I can't wait to see what comes our way.. =D

3. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

Just keep your eye on Kickstarter, I bet there'll be something similar pretty soon. But there are some things that can't be done the same I think, like charging via de magnets en stuff like that. Not sure but thats what I think.

4. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure that it's possible with the iPad.

The reason that the Surface's keyboard cover manages to be so thin is because the tablet is providing power & data connections.

A multitouch keyboard cover for the iPad is going to need Bluetooth for a data connection and a power source built in, because the iPad doesn't provide any power or data connection. That alone is going to add a considerable amount of thickness.

The iPad doesn't support trackpad or mouse inputs at all.

And the iPad doesn't have a built-in stand, which restricts the design of the cover to something which either has a stand built in, or requires the use of an external stand.

I think your best options are going to either be the Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio, the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, or one of those "laptop" style cases such as the Brydge.

It's possible that someone like Logitech will release a similar design to the Solar Keyboard Folio with a multitouch keyboard that will shave off a few millimetres, but it's never going to be as thin as the Surface keyboard cover.

While I think the Surface is a very ugly device with the number of exposed ports & connectors along the sides, and having the seam from the kickstand along the back, I do think the kickstand & cover are fantastic ideas.

5. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Update: Ni

I thought I would take a moment to update this discussion with another new(ish) development.

http://www.nibiqu.com/

6. Jachrist macrumors newbie

Your link sends you to a CANCELED kickstarter project.
    So........ Not really a new development.

7. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

If you read the cancellation reason, youll see that it is in fact an intentional break to get things sorted for more compatibility.

That being said, I dont care too much about that thing. I wish a company would make a keyboard meant for jailbreak users, meaning one with a freaking trackpad. Im writing this while RDPing into my PC now, bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse connected to my iPad mini. Might be a minority of users, sure, but why not grab all of a minority of users rather than fight for a small percentage of the majority? Not exactly lacking thing Bluetooth keyboards right now