Think you had bad luck getting an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theft Ninja, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Theft Ninja macrumors newbie

So where should I begin?

Lets start when it was the week the iPhone came out, I got in line ready to buy one while my dad went to church I stayed it line at the Fashion Island Apple store, (took about 30 minutes to go threw the line) so I get to one of the Apple guys and I ask for my iPhone 3G 16g Black. He gets one and we sit down next to the Macs by the glass wall.

This is when they tell me that I need the family plan holder to be here, and they have to be over 18. During this time my mom (the family plan holder) was in Ohio for the week and I was with my dad who is not in the family plan. My mom called ahead where I was able to buy an iPhone at an AT&T store, but too bad there were not any AT&T stores that had the phone in stock.

Less than a week later my mom arrives, and the next day we leave from (riverside) to the apple store in Irvine. We get there at 10:00 sharp. But the line was about a few stores down. I get in line and wait for more things to go wrong. The manager comes out and tells us that the phones may or mabey not be in stock. They might get a rush delivery. Since it was a Saturday, shipping does not work on Sundays so it was the last chance for the weekend.

About and hour later, the UPS guy does come and the everyone was happy to see him. Another hour later the managers comes and says that they did not get any white iphones (didnt bother me, I wanted a black one) and they have a small amount of black 8gigs, and a smaller amount of black 16gigs. The line starts moving.

About two hours later, (4 hours total) the manager ask people what phone they want. She counts and says that if people order what they asked, I would be the last customer to have the 16gig black phone. the kid ahead of me is about 16, and his dad had to be with him to get the phone. His dad walks around the huge outdoor mall and stays with him to buy the phone for him. He is only 16ish and his dad is buying him the phone. I finally get into the store, after 4 hours and my mom having to remove some Coca Cola discount from her phone and they tell me that they ran out of 16gigs, He points out to the kid and his dad, whom got himself one at the last minute without even telling the manager to count him into getting one.

After talking to the manager and leaving, uspet, we ride the hour and a half back to my house. We stoped at the AT&T store. I order the phone, about a week from today and it still says this.

Had anyone else had an experince like this? If so please reply, Becuase it's hard to imagine anyone else had this bad of luck.

Attached Files:

2. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Daamn homie that sucks, hope you get it soon. I thought I wasn't gonna get mine either, but my luck turned around.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Damn, I'm really sorry.. Its really unfortunate.. (no sarcasm intended).. I think yours is the worst experience... But I'm holding out with my EDGE coz i have seen too many faults or technical problems with iPhone 3G...

4. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

My status was like that for a long time. I ordered it last Wednesday, July 16th, and it just shipped out today. I ordered an 8 GB by the way. 16 GB blacks are taking a little longer, up to 2 weeks or more. 16 GB blacks are the most demanded so they're taking the longest. 16 whites are shipping in less than a week, and in some cases a couple of days, because they're not in high demand.

5. AustinIphoner macrumors member

pft, my experience was 10x worse. I was lied to by 2 ATT employees and told i could get it on opening day, so i waited in line for 7 hours only to be told i couldnt.

6. Theft Ninja thread starter macrumors newbie

You should have been told that you were taking a risk, and should know what you need to get, Going on opening day is a big risk, they should let you go in to check to make sure you can get it in the first place...

7. pundapun macrumors newbie

16GB Black takes a while at the AT&T stores. My wife ordered a 16GBWhite and got it in 2 days. The store is in Industry, CA.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

please dont elaborate on that.. shocking ATT are.. absolutely shocking. i hear so much nonsense about them.. im going to USA next summer for a month or so, so i will have to buy a prepaid SIM to use while there, im already dreading dealing with such a ***** company mate..

9. AustinIphoner macrumors member

well, heres what happened, i thought it was full proof, only thing i was iffy about was paying in cash for the phone.

My mom called to add me as an authorized user, and explained to them, her paycheck falls a couple days after the due date on our account, and that it would be paid on payday, and she asked "would this effect my son getting a new iphone?" they lady said it wouldnt.

So thursday before it came out, i physically went INTO an ATT store to make sure i was eligible. She looked up my account with my #, and said "oh, you have an iphone already? then your eligible!"

So i went in, and waited in line, got to the front and the guy tells me im not eligible for the $199 price. me, being :eek: and :mad: say we need to call ATT. So the lady we get ahold of says because of the past due balance(of 2 days) hasnt been paid, i wouldnt be eligible for the $199 price, i could still buy it for $399. I told her "if i had an extra $200 dont you think i would pay my bill instead?!"

Im just livid, cause there were 2 times they could have told me, "yes you are eligible IF you make a payment before hand" I wouldnt have had to gone up there at all, and i could have gone to work that day.

Sorry for the slight hijack

10. Theft Ninja thread starter macrumors newbie

Had anyone else tried ordering an 16 gig black? if so how long has it taken? I'm hoping for mine to ship this week but still the same status. I talked to some people who order it from AT&T and they got it in three days, right after launch.

11. AustinIphoner macrumors member

just go to an apple store and get it, then cancel your DF. thats what i did. Apple has been gettin ALOT of shipments

12. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

dude, go to apple, raise a stink and see what happens. They are usually pretty cool and uderstanding, maybe they can hoook you up for being so dedicated.

I couldn't imagine that happening to me, I got mine opening day and if I didn't walk outta that apple store in Beverly Hills with one that day I was gonna go balistic

best luck to you man

13. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Try the Victoria Garden Apple Store. Everytime I've walked by there, they seem to have plenty of stock of all the iPhones.

14. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

16GB black from AT&T on 18th, still don't have it.

15. TonyMil macrumors member

No Apple stores where I live.
    Checked with a local AT&T store earlier today and was told the white takes 3 days to arrive while the black can take up to 14 days.

16. shinenjk macrumors regular

To the OP:

Dude cancel that AT&T order and just go to the Apple Store... now they have tons in stock and I didn't even see a line when I was there this weekend. This is in Boston. Maybe it's different out there in Cali.

17. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

There was no line because they had no iphones...Most apple stores are out of stock.

They sell out within two hours after they receive stock.

plus most people want the 16 GB black...which is even harder to get at an apple store.

About the only apple store that has regular stock in the Apple Store on 5th ave in NY City....but the wait in line is at least 2 to 3 hours there.

18. barryallott macrumors member

i can smell ONE BIG PAT OF BULL. nice story though

19. shinenjk macrumors regular

OK here's another tip:

I've visited the local Apple Store in Boston (Boylston St) 4 times during the past 5 days starting on Wednesday. I saw them receive shipments twice during those 5 days, once on Wednesday and once on Friday. Both shipments came in around 10AM.

So what you should do is:

1.) Call your local Apple store daily around 10/11AM.
    2.) Ask if it's in stock, and if they say yes, head right on over, stand in line for about an hour (they usually give a conservative estimate if you ask - 2hrs in my case), and VOILA you got your iPhone 3G.

Not too hard eh?

20. MXChristian11 macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

ha I feel your pain man. I had the same problem but I waited for 11 hours (2nd in line) so Saturday I go back and wait in line for about 45 min to hear that they sold out. Sunday was my lucky day. I woke up at exactly 10 am Sunday morning and jumped to the phone and dialed my local ATT store (which opened at 10 am also) LOL and they tell me they got about 10 16 whites. I throw on some clothes, call my aunt, the account holder and RAN down to the store (I'm 15) haha I get there and am third in line at about 1020 am. I am sitting there literally praying that not only that my aunt show up by the time I got walked in, but also that they would even have any more. I get to the front and the manager says one left...AND THAT WAS ME. I tell him my situation with my aunt and he tells me that if she's not with me when I get welcomed it's a no go and the person behind me goes. Well....I waited about 5 min and I'm not lying as soon as that lucky person that had just got his is walking out...my aunt pulls up!!! Couldn't have worked out better. Well not really, we get inside and they have it. The employee rings it up and adds it to the account. He then tells me that there seems to be a problem!! My heart sank. LOL he said he would try to fix it and I hoped he did. We stood there for an hour and twenty minutes when he tells me that IM GOING TO BE LEAVING WITH AN IPHONE. ah I was pumped. So yeah that was my story. Pretty crazy.

21. Theft Ninja thread starter macrumors newbie

I made one more attempt to buy the iPhone, going to the store in fashion valley in S.D. The minute I walk in line of 50 some people , they say they are out 16 gig blacks, so we leave and go to La Holla and they gave me my iphone garrentee slip, and the rest is history.