Thinkin' about converting my Windows laptop, but I need help. :/

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Goohfy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the site and I've always thought about picking' up a MacBook. ( I'm posting this on my iPad. ) but my Windows 7 Dell Inspiron 1545 is only a year old, but I feel like it had problems ever since I took it out of the box. I had to reset the laptop multiple times when I first purchased it for around $550 . Now, it has a slow program startup speed and the programs often freeze up, plus a very slow shutdown speed. I routinely scan the pc with my security center and never understood what caused these random problems, and everybody knows about the short battery life.
    Now, I'm wondering if I should try and see how long it'll run for even if there is a refresh that I'm interested in, or should I try and get a good 200 to 300 bucks for it and buy a MacBook or MBA refresh this year.

2. jojones88 macrumors newbie

I have had the same problem when buying new computers. After a while of normal use they seem to keep getting slower and slower.

A lot of pc manufacturers pre-install a lot of unwanted programs such as trial software and oem system utilities that are completely useless.

The best thing to do when you bring home your new computer, in my own opinion, is to format the hard drive and install your operating system... Without even seeing what the manufacturer has put on your hard drive.

Have you tried wiping your hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7?

Odds are your laptop already does everything that you really need, and all it needs is a good wipe clean. What are the specs and what do you use it for?

3. neonmd macrumors member

I would agree that your laptop most likely can handle all your needs when running Windows 7 well. Of course, the need to wipe the hard drive and install the OS new again is why I switched to Macs 10 years ago and never looked back.

4. Goohfy, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

To be honest I prolly couldn't give you all the specs at the moment, but it's a Dell Inspiron 1545. I believe I have somewhere around 160 GB free. To wipe the computer, how should I do it? Back up the files to a hard drive? I don't have one .:( I use it for daily use, such as surfing,music,videos,skype. How can I check the specs on there, cuz I'll check after I eat dinner, I prolly know how, just may need some guidance.

5. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Here's some specs :
    Processor : Dual Core T4400 @ 2.20 GHz
    RAM : 3GB
    160 GB Free
    64 Bit
    *It also says the PC has a 3.4 rating ? I'm not sure what that is, but I'll include it.

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

An external hard drive is a must! Go find a 500gb or larger one for cheap at your local computer store ASAP!

It should be able to run Windows 7 fine.

Even my old Toshiba with a 1.7ghz Centrino Duo and 1.5Gb of rams can run Windows 7 at 32 bit fine(better than vista which was included with the laptop!)!

After buying an external hard drive, copy your important files over. Then reinstall Windows 7 after. Are you planning to upgrade your RAMs? If you don't, install 32bit(dont move your important files over yet and just install all the same programs again!) and see if the problem still exists.

64 bit sometimes is a hassle if you dont have enough ram(although 3gb IS enough!)

Should have gone with a Mac OP!

7. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Haha, I know, at the time, didn't have the money, but thinking about selling off my laptop for a couple 100 bucks then upgrading to a Macbook towards the Summer. Can you link me some hard drives, or lemme know how much one may cost?

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

first of, in which country are you???

Hard drives brands that i recommend are Seagate and Buffalo(I find it very reliable, have a couple of these myself for over a couple years and have no sign of failing yet)

Edit: Just found your post in the Mac Peripheral :p

9. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Thanks alot, I'll look around for one , and I'm from NY.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

11. Goohfy, Apr 27, 2011
  12. NZed, Apr 27, 2011

NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

You know what? I have the 320gb from Buffalo. And all my files alone, its not enough. Thats why i bought another 320gb seagate. A different one from yours though.

Files expand. You see mp3 files today are 7-12 mb average. That may rise up to over 50mb in the future, and by then, mp3's with 180gb of storage will be the standard baseline.

Found out on the net and the computer came with 250gb HD right?
    You've used about 90gb... I'd say go with a minimum of 320gb.

13. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok , I'll consider the 500 GB as well. Just wondering, will I be able to use this for a future Mac as well?

14. NZed, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

If you format the drive as FAT32, yes you can use it with a mac right away. If its formatted as NTFS, you need apps like NTFS-3G for mac to read the drive, since macs cant read NTFS drives natively.