Thinking about a 24" vs the new 27" question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rotobadger, Jul 28, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm considering maybe picking up the 24 inch display with its new price but was wondering if anyone could tell me if there would be a reason I would want to get the new 27 inch instead OTHER than size. Is there anything new that I might miss on the older 24"?

Thanks!

2. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ah. I can live without that one. :)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, you can't. It's vital to the experience and it is quite wonderful to be irritated by changing brightness. :D

I don't know of another plus the 27" has over the 24" despite the bigger resolution.

4. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I think the only difference besides the resolution and price is the size and what was mentioned above (ambient light sensor). Just remember you can pick up a refurbished 24" cinema display for much less than brand new. It will most likely take several months after the 27"ers are available to be put on the refurbished section of the Apple Store. So if the size matters and cost is not an option go with the bigger one. I already have Cinema Display envy.:D

5. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yeah, I was going to pick up a refurb but there was only one in the Apple store a couple of days ago. Of course, I snoozed and I loozed. It was $599 too!

I keep checking to see if another one comes up.

I'd love a 27 inch but...$1000 for a monitor! :eek:

6. keilly macrumors newbie

Is the audio carried via DisplayPort on the 27"?
    I know newer Macs can output audio that way, and the 24" Cinema Display predates this so I guess it doesn't do it.

Not a big deal, but one less cable to plug in when docking if you don't need USB for anything else.

7. stevemr123 macrumors member

Yes, audio is carried through the DisplayPort connection according to the Tech specs page @ apple.com. What bothers me is, that even though could have 7.1 surround audio over DP, the 27" ACD has no audio output connectors, so you cannot send your music it to your receiver or even a simple desktop speaker, you can only use ACD's low-fi internal speakers... :(

The 27" Dell U2711 (which I currently use with my MBP) on the other hand has 5.1 audio out (analog only...), so I can relay the audio received through the displayport connection to my external speakers.