Thinking about a Apple Cinema 20in : Any experience to share?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonthegeologist, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jonthegeologist macrumors member

Hi

As I work from home, I have a work provided IBM laptop with flatscreen in my home office. However, as a dedicated Mac user, I also have to have my trusty Macbook with me for sanity. I use my Macbook as a normal laptop ie. without added display, keyboard and mouse.

Given that I work from this room for 8 hours a day, I'm thinking of investing in a Apple cinema display to go with my Mac. Sure, it's going to look a bit "Mission Control" with all these screens, but it'll help!

Any experiences to share on the 20inch screen? Anything I should consider? My worry with taking the plunge now is that the 'Buyers Guide' recommends holding off and whilst it's difficult to pre-empt what the next phase of these screens might be, I'd like to thing the nextgen might have a built in webcam.

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Apple's displays look nice (especially if people have to stare at the back, like in my office), and include a firewire hub, and have zero footprint with that flat thin stand.

But Dell displays can be VERY good buys. Certain models have had problems, so do some Googling, but they're often among the very best in quality and features (like having an input for a VCR, and rotating to portrait) while being on the cheap end of the price scale. I've long felt that a Mac + a Dell display was one of the best computing deals around.

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i love my dell display, and $350 for a 22" screen with the adjustable stand is a great price!

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Dells are usually cheaper, but nothing can match the pure sexiness of an Apple Cinema display beside ANY Apple product. The back of Apple Cinema Displays look better than the front of these Dell monitors :D It's really your choice. I'd recommend heading to Best Buy and taking a look at the Dell monitors and the ACD's. You'll find that ACD's are VERY nice in brightness and overall quality, but for the price, some Dell's may achieve better. It's really up to you.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

My friend had the one before the latest Al models (it had the clear plastic around it) and it was nice. He has a 23" Al one now. I also had a Dell 2004FPW 20" which I believe has the same panel as the 20" ACD (I do know it is an IPS panel so it is at least the same technology) and I was very pleased with it.