Thinking about a MacBook Pro 17 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joe schmoe, May 8, 2012.

1. joe schmoe macrumors newbie

I currently have a Macbook Air 13 and find it doesn't have the CPU power to do things like video editing, photo editing and batch file edits without LONG wait times. Plus CAD work is out too, to small of a screen.

With the latest rumor of Apple killing off the Macbook Pro 17 would it be wise to buy one now or will there still be inventory of them when the new Macbook Pros are released and we do find out one way or the other about the 17 inch model???

Basically asking should I run out now and buy a new 17 inch Macbook Pro or wait and see if Apple does kill off the 17 inch model?

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did you even read the article? It was just a random prediction. There's no basis for it. There was a rumor that the macbook pro would be redesigned, then an analyst/blogger stated that his estimate that Apple only sells X number of them, therefore he doesn't think it'll make the cut. You should just not even consider such a rumor in your buying decision... well ever.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Even if they do kill it off you could still get a refurb one. It may be many months till we know faith of it. They could like the last major MBP refresh come out with a new 13 and 15 and make no mention of the 17 till many months down the road.

If you need one now get it now.

4. joe schmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I read the article and that is exactly why in my question i stated "that the latest RUMOR has it..." I would prefer to get an Ivy Bridge chipset due to the reduced power/heat and better CPU...

Just asking if there were any other "bloggers" with the same rumors....I am fairly new tot he Apple world (less than 2 years) so just trying to get more informed before making this purchase...

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Just get it now.

And no they won't kill the 17. Why would they? That's such a defeatist mind state.

People think that just because they don't have a 17 that nobody else does or what?

You think the 13 outsells the 17 because of principle? Or price?

A 13 is 999
    A 17 is 2499

Let's not sell the one that has the huge profit margin anymore... Hmmmm

6. walie macrumors 6502a

*ahem*

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Priceless :D

8. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

Given the narrow niche market for the 17" and Apple's evolution towared light portable units, I'd say the 17" is very much in danger of extinction.

The Airs and 13" MBP are perfect for the modest computer demands of average users. Power users get what they need from 15"ers. The 17" just seems to appeal to a narrow demographic trying to find that awkward sweet spot between screen size and portability.

In my IT shop we joke that our customers just want tiny laptops with gigantic screens and big full sized keyboards with separate accounting keypads, and every port known to mankind.

9. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

It's funny...people will believe an analyst who literally has no insight but disregard what they see right in front of their face. I've seen quite a number of 17" MBPs being used, far greater than the 1% the analyst claimed (or I think that it was him who said that...?)

No one knows what the fate of the 17" MBP is. It very well could be nixed, but it might not be. Fact of the matter is, they're still selling a LOT of refurbished 17" MBPs that were released as far back as April of 2010. If you want a 17" MBP, it'll be YEARS before they'll be hard to find.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17

That having been said, the last time they updated the Pro line and left the 17" machines out, I don't remember them completely taking the 17" machines off their website. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

10. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

CONFIRMED.

Apple RARELY takes products off their website, especially ones that aren't being updated, but will get an update

The fact that its off the website is a BAD sign

Personally? I'm the biggest fan of the 17" - I had a 2010 model and when I heard the news, I went online and bought a refurbished Quad Core 17"

Like everyone has said above, if you need it, buy it

I personally don't think we're going to see a 17" update - if we do, it could be a long time

11. xxspirit4musicx, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

xxspirit4musicx macrumors newbie

joe schmoe reply

I'm so obsessed with my 17-inch Macbook Pro from 2011. I came to Macs when Snow Leopard came out and I was a Windows user since I was like 5 years old. Omg this computer is so huge. The sound is incredible. The CPU power is incredible. The Graphics card is amazing. I got the upgraded 6770M AMD Card plus 16GB of RAM. And I can switch to Windows if I want to create a music video. I haven't learned how to do that on a Mac yet. MMMM i love this computer and I can even run snow leopard on it with my Special Edition 10.6.7 DVD with Sandy Bridge Drivers. I wonder what else I can do with this compter? Anyone else want to teach me cool powerful things to do on here? :)))))

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

NECROMANCY! *cough* year old thread.

Ya know, you can run linux with a mac!!! Duuude!! Cool powerful stuff! Sudo! Or you can probably even run MAVERICKS *possible angel choir*

13. xxspirit4musicx macrumors newbie

so what is does lunix do?

14. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

You can deselect the B option......