Thinking about a MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jacob45334, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jacob45334 macrumors newbie

I am not new to Mac... I am starting college and was wondering what everyones opinion would be... I am debating purchasing the black MacBook with 2 gb ram upgrade. I just need a somewhat basic computer for classes but need the flexibility to run Windows thru Boot Camp.

I am not going to be doing heavy graphics editing or video production with this computer - just basic stuff: docs, email, music - basic stuff...

Do you think that this would be a good choice. $$ is kind of an issue...

2. jakelar macrumors newbie

if money is a problem i'd suggest you go for the low-end white book instead of the black one. There is quite a large price gap between the two. The difference in processor speeds between the two models wont make a huge difference and in my opinion, 1gb of ram is more than enough for the stuff you do.

If you still want the black casing, the newer penryn blackbooks have a base 2gb of ram, so theres no need to upgrade.

3. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

note the recent upgrade to the macbook means 2gb is now standard for 2/3 tier.

if money is an issue, i would not get the blackbook. there has traditionally been a "you like black, eh?" tax, if you're not aware. i would get the white one, and just upgrade the HDD if necessary (making it $100 cheaper).

thats ultimately a question you'll have to answer, though.

with 2 gigs of ram and a 2.4 ghz processor, it will definitely suit your needs, and ought to last for a couple years. purchasing at a good time, right now, also.

Edit: yo, i think we all have the name Jake! top score

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

If money is an issue check the refurb store. They have GREAT deals on macbooks and such now since the update. Since this is just for basic stuff a good 2.16 blackbook is abut 1049 in the refurb store, and ram is so cheap and easy to install you can pick up a 2 gig stick for like 35 bucks to add to one of the 512s for 2.512 total and be more then happy...

However, the whitebooks are a better deal. I actually like my whitebook better then the blackbook i had for a while. You can grab a refurb 2.2 whitebook for 999 now! :) Just the last gen, and better then the current bottom line.

GREAT deal, and plenty of computer I highly recommend it. I am working on one right now :)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get a refurb BlackBook, or a new white MacBook.

The higher price of the Blackbook can be offset by purchasing a refurb, which aren't as scary as they sound. They're used, but returned for some reason, fixed (if necessary), thoroughly tested, and boxed up. They're probably a safer bet than brand new systems, as those are never really tested.

6. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

7. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I did a little comparing between the 2/3 and 3/3 tier Macbook since I'm also thinking of buying a notebook for Sophomore year (HS).

Basically, you're paying 100$ extra for a Blackbook (from a 2/3 tier white) for extra hard drive space and an extra 100$ to have BLACK. You like black? Go ahead, spend that extra 100$. Except when you upgrade the Macbooks to the same spec, there is only a 100$ difference.

I did include iWork and Apple Care in the total price so results may come out different, it shouldn't though...