Carrier thinking about a phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applebutter, Mar 5, 2017.

1. applebutter macrumors newbie

I sold my iPhone 6 plus 64GB and got an LG V20, nice phone, but I'm not a big fan of the Android eco system, somethings are better most not so much, I just got the V20 and am thinking about getting a 7 plus 256Gb, I'm not totally convinced that buying a phone that costs around a thousand dollars is really worth it; but, I'm not sure it isn't, on the other hand I could keep the V20 and wait until the next iPhone comes out.

Reason I got rid of my iPhone, was I was running out of space.

I think I'm really just looking for an excuse to move back to apple, do you think there would be any compelling reason not to keep the V20 and wait?

2. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

I suggest you wait until you have ample justification to switch to an iPhone without having to consult an anonymous Apple-focused Q&A forum about how you accomplish your personal tasks using whatever smartphone platform you choose (you describe nothing about what sort of apps or tasks you need to accomplish).

You have also flagged this post as "Carrier" which is utterly bizarre. There is nothing carrier specific about your inquiry. Carriers are basically dumb pipes. No one here cares whether you use AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile Deutschland, Vodafone, or NTT Docomo.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Whether the cost of a 7 plus 256GB is worth it is completely up to you. Could you get by with only using 128GB? That would save you $100 and would be double the storage space of your previous iPhone. Was it pictures/videos that were holding you back? If so you could have upgraded your iCloud storage and let iCloud photo library manage the storage for you as per: https://www.apple.com/icloud/photos/

Also, a lot of people can get confused because their iCloud storage space is full, but they think their actual phone storage space is full. Are you sure that wasn't the issue? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247

I don't see why it wouldn't be reasonable to switch back to an iPhone at this point, you could probably easily sell the V20 and use the money towards getting the iPhone. If you purchased it through a carrier a lot of times they have offers where you can upgrade earlier.

Very true, I'm not sure what this post has to do with a carrier at all.

4. applebutter, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

applebutter thread starter macrumors newbie

The carrier thing just popped up, and I wan't paying attention to what I clicked on, I looked to see if there was a way to remove it, and I'm still under a 14 day grace period when I can trade for another phone.

Most of my usage is photos and videos, and choose not to use iCloud for my backups.

5. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

When I asked about usage, I meant how do you USE your phone?

However, if what you said is true and that you just use your phone mostly as a camera and media player, then buy whatever device you want: Android or iOS doesn't really matter if you are just snapping pics and watching videos.

What really matters most to you is storage capacity which is why you ditched your iPhone. For the same storage capacity, you can get an Android smartphone for far less money than a comparably sized iPhone and you clearly state that using iCloud is not a desired benefit.

Again, it would be wise of you to hold off buying another smartphone until you come up with a clear reason why your current equipment is inadequate for whatever tasks you are trying to accomplish and to evaluate the various options at that future moment.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'd wait till Sept.

The V20 is a decent phone. But hey...it's only money.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

If you edit your post you should be able to remove the carrier in the subject.

If you're still under the 14 day return period, then you need to decide if the V20 will work for you. Based on your usage (photos and video), pretty much any phone with a nice camera and storage space will work for you. If you do return to an iPhone I would recommend upgrading your iCloud storage space so you can back up your photos/videos to iCloud.