Thinking about a VPS

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MegaMan1311, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

I'm considering getting a VPS. I don't want it to be too expensive, but need about 40-50 GB and want root access.

Does anyone know of a good place to get that?

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

You could try Gate.com. They offer VPS hosting for 29.95/month. I use midPhase, but they start at 49.95.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What are you doing that you need root access? I want to make sure we're talking about the same root access. It's very rare to "need" root access.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I'm one of those people like the OP who prefers root access, which means the VPS is a *nix box that allows me to control and install any software daemons I want (compile as well) and be able to configure and tweak all major services including mounts, MTA, web, aliases, cron and even which files load a boot and when plus users, groups and even ipchains (firewall). Full *nix system administration and this is full root access unlike sudo which allows you to give privileged access to only some commands.

In terms of running a web site and development, one does not necessarily need root access, today's modern control panels and web hosting managers are web based or remote desktop accessible with GUI interfaces that make it alot easier to do all the things I listed above, or at least some of those things, depending on your choice for VPS host.

I happen to use Liquid Web, which is $60.00/month and I have full root access and use shell to do things as I'm old school and was trained to setup virtual hosts, email and the whole system that way. It also has powerful CP/WHM interfaces is extremely reliable in uptime, great ratings and a crack and talented support staff, unlimited virtual hosts and email plus I run my own DNS and maintain my own zone files. But that's what you get for paying a little more, all this cool stuff that is great for geeks like me. If you don't need all this stuff, shop around, the suggestions of others are worthwhile to check out.

Details here if you want to see what services Liquid Web provides for comparison with others.

-jim

5. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

In case you guys don't know, this was posted back in February and was just revived...

I guess I should tell everyone what I went with. I went with Media Temple a few months ago. Best choice I could've made in my opinion. Its a bit pricy, but very nice. Their customer service is great as well!

I am loving root access. I am one of those people who wants to be able to customize and install everything and anything I want.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

They are good ;)

7. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Sorry for reviving again but what did you need the host for?

8. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean? Are you asking what is the purpose of a host?

If so, then, in simplistic terms, the host is a special computer that you put your website on to make it show up on the internet when combined with a domain name.

Some people make their own by getting a fixed IP and a computer wherever they work, but most just purchase the service from a company (I chose media temple). Apple offers a service (Mobile Me / .Mac) that does the same that, but it pales in comparison to a real host like media temple.