thinking about adding an antenna to our building

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mentaluproar, Apr 9, 2013.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

My roommates and I are considering an antenna for our building. I get by on internet TV, but every now and then it would be nice to have broadcast television (example: olympics).

This is a ghetto house, and all the cable lines are routed outside our house. Time Warner watches those lines like a hawk, and after one of the roommates was caught stealing cable, the lines were all capped. I'm thinking we just mount an antenna on the roof, run the line down the the splitter, and just tie that in for those of use who aren't getting cable TV.

The lines are all there, and powering an amplifier would be simple so to some recent wiring changes the landlord made. (added floodlights. we could just tap in there).

So it's a matter of will-this-work.

Does anyone have experience with this antenna?
    https://store.gomohu.com/sky-hdtv-outdoor-antenna.html

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Are you suggesting hooking up the antenna to the same splitter as the Time Warner connection? I wouldn't do that.

Interesting that Time Warner is watching and capping the lines, my parents have 2-3 TVs with no digital box and they don't get charged extra for the additional drops, and TWC is well aware of those drops as they ran 2-3 of them through the wall and have replaced the lines several times.

3. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

"broadcast television" doesn't exist in the United States any more.
    What Broadcast are you expecting to receive?

4. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

We can get digital television channels over the air just fine. I wasn't going to run it into the same splitter, there would be a splitter right next to the current one. Whoever isn't tied into that one would be plugged into the antenna.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Over the air broadcasts are still very much alive and well in the US. They are now all-digital and better quality than ever (if you have a good signal).

You are very much misinformed.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Agreed. I have one t.v. hooked to a satellite in my den and a bedroom set hooked to an outdoor antenna, which receives ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS. Picture quality excellent on both sets.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have the little indoor Leaf antenna and it's great. I'm sure the external one works even better.

8. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Do you think it's worth that price or should I just hit radio shack with a hundred bucks?

9. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Misinformed......maybe. Over The Air broadcast are nonexistent here in North East Tenn.

10. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm not sure about that one, as it's totally different from what I had except for the brand name.

When I used the Leaf I lived in the city, less than 10 miles from all of the broadcast antennas. It pulled in about 25 channels (don't get too excited - 8 of them were PBS and 5 were foreign language). Part of the allure of the Leaf antenna was that it only cost $40 and it was highly rated on top of that.

12. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

The goal here is to share with multiple rooms here, so I figure why not.