Thinking About An iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Resist, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Our 2 phone family plan contract (non data) with Verizon is ready to expire and we have been thinking about getting iPhones. I have always felt AT&T's plans were overpriced and this is one reason why we didn't get an iPhone sooner. I have recently been "schooled" about how the pricing plans of Verizon and AT&T are almost the same.

From what I can tell, AT&T directory assistance cost 30 cents more, call ID block is not included and the additional line activation fee cost a dollar more than Verizon. But with AT&T, you get rollover minutes. So it seems AT&T isn't so bad.

I have an iPod Touch and love it. I think the apps make the Touch and probably the iPhone more useful devices. So should we get a couple iPhones and make the switch to AT&T?

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

yes

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This is an Apple forum, so obviously we're going to say yes.
    And you won't regret it at all.

4. obe1995 macrumors newbie

obe1995

if your plan is about to expire, why not get iphones. they are amazing and incredible devices. despite the fact that you cannot send or receive multimedia messages via sms text, so many other features make up for that ! another great reason why YOU should have one is because you have already purchased applications for your ipod touch that can carry over on to your phone, aswell as the rest of your families phones! and budget-wise. do not worry about it because after a week with an iphone, YOU WILL NOT WANT TO GIVE IT BACK!!! i hope this helped

5. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I understood this is an iPhone forum and the response would be in favor of the iPhone. So I guess what I am really asking is if going to AT&T is worth giving up Verizon for. Verizon is the only cell phone provider we have ever had, so we have nothing to compare it to. I know no cell phone service is perfect but I don't want to get a great new phone only for it be degraded due to the service.

7. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

gogogo get an iPhone now.. I bought one for myself and my bro got the G1 and AT&T made it fast ported my number in less then a few hours, took 10-15 min in the store and walked out with a phone.

I wish I'd made the jump from Sprint and an ipod touch to this thing a LONG time ago.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If you're considering AT&T, make sure to get a FAN discount on your account (it's somewhere in the forums) so that you get additional savings based on your employer. I currently have 28% on my account and it helps out a lot, most people get 15% on average.

Next to add your savings: if you're gonna be a new subscriber to AT&T is their Refer-A-Friend program, (still a thread somewhere here) and you can pick from tons of referrers, like me :p so you could get an additional $25 AT&T gift card when both are deemed eligible. Google "AT&T referral" for more info.

AT&T's coverage here in Northwest is good, full 3G bars everywhere so I have no complaints. It is a little bit expensive compared to my old provider though (T-mobile) but with rollover minutes, I can't complain. I'm thinking of adding a line too.

Go ask (if you know anyone) someone that has AT&T within your area. Check first with them if the coverage is good enough, or feel free to check the coverage map on their website. You wouldn't want to sacrifice coverage, but I've read people post here that they'd do anything for an iPhone, even with Edge only as their service.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions on the certain points I've made.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Before the iPhone, every phone I had used was a bit of a letdown. I always ended up just using them for making phone calls.

However, the iPhone is different. Some enjoy using the iPod, but I think just having a workable mobile browser to be so fantastic. I use it off and on all day, whenever I want to check or know something.

10. firewood macrumors 604

coverage

Find someone with an AT&T cell phone near home and at work. Make sure to check how many bars of AT&T coverage someone gets in your house, and in your office, before you switch, or you risk being severely disappointed. There are lots of places where one gets good coverage from one carrier, but not another. I know someone who got great coverage for some carrier at their neighbor's house, but not their own. Their house just happened to be just inside the edge of a dead zone of coverage, and they had to return their phone. Several years ago, I didn't switch to Cingular GSM (AT&T precursor) until my office moved from one side of an office complex to another, where coverage went from bad to decent. YMMV.

11. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

We currently get a discount from Verizon based on our employer. I think they have a large account with Verizon and not AT&T. So we will lose that discount. I will have to check into the Refer-A-Friend program. We are going to need every discount we can get because I just can't see paying a ton more per month just to have an iPhone.

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Turns out we can get the discount based on our employer after all. I just wish AT&T had free caller ID block, like Verizon does. Anyone know how much that costs?

13. Odid macrumors regular

You mean you just want your number to come up private right?
    You can turn it on/off in the iPhone's phone settings.

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Odid is correct in that the Caller ID for outbound calls is controlled in the iPhone settings. Most if not all AT&T phones support the ability to enable the Send Call ID on a per call basis or for all calls or block all.

There is not a priced Feature from AT&T since it is controlled at the phone level.

From the iPhone 3G User's Guide:

Show My Caller ID

Show or hide your caller ID: Choose Phone > Show My Caller ID, then turn Show My Caller ID on or off. If Show My Caller ID is off, people you call can’t see your name or phone number on their phone.

Dave

15. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Really? That is great, thanks!

16. fireball370 macrumors member

Another workaround if you don't want to change settings globally is to dial *67 before the ten-digit number; to reveal your number dial *83 if it's blocked.

Speaking of numbers, might want to check with at&t if your verizon wireless number can be ported over. :)

If you do decide to go with the iPhone, I think you'll be very pleased. I just purchased mine a few days ago from my local at&t store, and I LOVE it; I thought I'd miss the keyboard of my previous phone, the Blackberry Pearl, but so far I've been very pleased with the device.

Like a previous poster said, although the iPhone lacks a few basic features the Blackberry has, it makes up for it in other features.

Good Luck!

17. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

We did it, got our iPhones tonight! We like them more than we thought we would and now understand what all the fuss was about.

About that caller ID block, the folks at the AT&T store said that feature had to be called in via AT&T for it to work. So I get home and start playing with my iPhone as just you people here have said, it is an option on the phone itself. Guess those AT&T reps don't know the products they sell.

18. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Congrats on your new iPhones :D

My first suggestion, save $ by not constantly spending at the App Store hehe

19. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Not spending money on apps will be hard, good thing they have that Mint.com app. :)

20. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

One thing I did notice when comparing the LCD screens of my 1st Generation iPod Touch to my new iPhone 3G, the Touch's screen is bluish and a tad brighter, while the iPhone is a bit yellowish. This is with the settings set the same.

21. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yep the screens are slightly different.

22. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

DO IT!

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You never even bothered to read the whole thread, he mentioned it already :rolleyes:

24. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Here is the only thing I really dislike about my new iPhone, the camera. It is such a let down especially from a company like Apple. No flash, no zoom, no video......what were they thinking? At the very least it should have a digital zoom by now, that is just a software fix.

25. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Don't get an iPhone 3g!
    I've been playing with for what.. Since first gen. AT&T service is good
    Dunno but don't get one I like mine dagahanhufx
    ??