Thinking about buying a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brinck10, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. Brinck10 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #1
    Hi out there.

    I'm tired of windows and the 4GB ram capacity, so I'm thinking about buying the new Mac Pro. But first I would like some advice from you.

    The case is that I'm going to Brazil in August without having anything with me at all. That means I'm going to leave my computer for almost a year. So my first question is: Would it be worthwhile to buy a Mac Pro? Am I going to loose something on it, instead of buying it when I come back home within 16 months? Would the hardware be cable of the newest software when I return?

    Okay. So let's say I would by one. Which one will I benefit most from? The cheap one or the expensive one.

    I'm doing a bit 3D animation and I'm also running realflow, but mostly I'm rendering one project at a time. So, would I benefit most from the 4 core with 2.66GHz Nehalem processor, or from the 8 core with 2.26GHz?

    Thanks for this great opportunity to get some answers on this.

    Kind regards, Frederik
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Buy when you get back. Tech will ALWAYS get better.
     
  3. hayduke macrumors 65816

    hayduke

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    is a state of mind.
    #3
    Do not buy now. Computers are not good personal investments. Wait as long as you can. Things change fast.
     
  4. Tesselator macrumors 601

    Tesselator

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    Japan
    #4
    You're doing 3D? You want the fastest one with the most cores!!! No debating that!

    Better to get it now or wait 16 months? I think there's two ways to think about this. And both depend on what the US economy does in that time. Right now Mac Pros are the worst deal they have ever been - ever! Apple raised the prices $1000 to $3000 on every unit and added only a little bit of speed. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7270035&postcount=179 But Nikon and other gadget manufacturers are raising prices too. I keep hearing from every credible source that the US economy is going to tank - it's planned to tank - and when it tanks this time (as opposed to the tanking in 1929) it will be different in that prices will go sky high at the same time unemployment shoots through the roof, banks fail, and etc. In '29 there was depression and everything sure, but prices also dropped along side.

    Anyway, if those people are right then in 16 months Apple may raise the prices another $1000 ~ $3000 per unit and buying now (or not at all???) would be the safe bet.

    If they're wrong however then I can't understand why Apple would hold the prices so high or raise them more and in 16 months you'll either be getting more for a lot less or you'll be getting a lot more for about the same price.

    That's my take on it. Personally, if it were me and I wanted a Mac Pro right now I would get one of last years' models - or a Mini, or a laptop in the meantime that I could take with me while in Brazil and while waiting to see what the economy and Apple does during the next 16 months.

    .
     
  5. Brinck10 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #5
    First of all, thanks for your advices.

    If we look away from the price, where is the Mac Pro's hardware then going to stand at the market at that time? I know you can't predict the future, but if you should give a shot?

    I am most inclined to buy it now, and therefore I want to know wether the hardware of the Mac Pro are up-to-date with the latest software 16 months ahead. I've heard that it's completely configureable, so if I need to I can just upgrade it with newer graphic cards etc., though if I should not, where would it approximately be?

    Frederik
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #6
    One revision behind.

    Nope.:(
     
  7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #7
    Whatever you do, don't buy it now. Buy what's new 17 months from now when you return. It will be better and less expensive.
     
  8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #8
    Absolutely stupid to buy it now if you're going to disappear for 16 months.
     
  9. Brinck10 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #9
    Thanks for your advices, they have been taken into consideration and I have decided to wait until I return.

    //Frederik
     
  10. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

    321estrellas

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    #10
    Also, Mac Pro's by then will come with Snow Leopard! Not to mention come with 400 cores or something.
     
  11. Liam8 macrumors 6502

    Liam8

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #11
    Buy later

    You should buy when you get back it will be faster and smarter by then. What good does it do for you to buy it now?:confused:
     
  12. Brinck10 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #12
    It does that I can use it for 4 months. I can't wait to get it, and I really want to do some Xcode and iPhone developing. I thought that I could use it too when I got back, but I see it's better to wait.
     

Share This Page