Thinking about buying a MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by timize, Jul 24, 2012.

1. timize macrumors regular

timize

Just wondering if now is a good time to buy one?

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Agreed. I just got mine delivered yesterday. Will open tonight.

3. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I would actually say this is a better time than most.

Not only did they just do a really good update that makes the machines really cool and vastly improves graphical performance, any current purchase comes with a free upgrade to Mountain Lion when it drops (prolly tomorrow).

I snatched a 11" a couple weeks ago and it's one of the coolest toys I've ever owned. It's a deceptively powerful little thing. It could actually serve as a main computer for anyone who doesn't video game or do heavy video editing. It can run multiple external displays!

4. Nioxic macrumors regular

i got the 2011 model from last july..
    I'm still very happy with mine and i can only look with jealous eyes on the people with the newer ivy bridge cpu (HD 4000). its a nice upgrade, graphically.

although this does exactly what its supposed to do. media-wise, it can easily run 720p videos on youtube, which is exactly the max i require from it, apart from a few indie-games like plants vs zombies and world of goo...

i don't know the performance difference, but i imagine its better on the newer one :)

overall its very fast, nice designed, comfortable keyboard, very nice screen and weighs... nothing.

5. Glockron macrumors member

Ordered mine last week. Getting it tomorrow :) This is the best time - you've just had an update, and the feedback on the update has been good. There are no critical flaws with the 2012 refresh - so you're all set.

Plus I don't think there's anything in the 13" rMBP rumours. Just a load of BS in my opinion. I don't see that happening for at least 1½ years, defs after Haswell.

You're fine with buying now :)

6. manunited macrumors member

Yeah go for it. This year's update may not seem like much, but imo it's quite a big upgrade.

- Graphics card: HD 4000 is up to 60% faster than HD 3000.
    - USB 3.0
    - 720p FaceTime camera
    - Better fans (I think?)
    - Upgradeable to 8GB of RAM
    - Ivy Bridge (a little faster and a little less power hungry as well, so the battery seems to also last a teeny bit longer)

MBA mid-2012 is a solid machine.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

The SSD on my 2012 MBA easily benchmarks 2x+ faster than my 2011 MBA. Not that I had any problems with the speed of my 2011, but .. holy crap with the new one! :)

8. manunited macrumors member

Right. How could I forget.. the SSD speeds are now 6 Gbps, as opposed to 3 Gbps (2011). :p

9. asting macrumors 6502

You forgot faster ssd.
    Edit: too slow.

10. sonofpismo macrumors regular

sonofpismo

Buy Now :)

Now is a great time to buy an Air. I am upgrading from a Core2Due MacBook Air 13.3" (Late 2010) model. I will see drastic improvements in performance if the reviews and tests are to be believed. Real world experience with in-store units confirm the "snappyness" of the new units. They will be perfect for Mountain Lion.

Custom build times seem improved with my order arriving within 4-business days.

11. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I started on a mid-2010 and the 2012 blows it away on every performance fronts.