thinking about buying a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seablue, Jul 28, 2012.

1. seablue macrumors regular

Right now I'm on an old ibook G4 specs are:

Machine Name: iBook G4
    Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1.5 GB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0

It works fine for me but since it's a PowerPC, I can't do some stuff that I want to anymore - like a couple of FB games. Their requirements for macs are intel now. The ibook has plenty of memory for me. I don't keep photos or anything on it. I basically like to play a couple of facebook games, email, and chat on some message boards. that's about it.
    Do you think the 2.5 GHz model would work for me? My ibook works fine but I find more and more apps are not accepted on it because it is so outdated now.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For what you're needing and what you're coming from, any portable mac made since 2008 should be a vast improvement and will serve your needs. So, yes.

Or, go on CL and scrounge up a good deal on a 2011 macbook air, as long as it has 4 gigs of ram and a 128 gigs of storage or more. The difference between your venerable g4 and that would be night and day.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Take a look at the MacBook Air, it's got plenty of power for what you want to do. Apple often has good deals on the refurb section of their web store.

4. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

what I didn't like about the air is that it doesn't have a drive on the side like the macbook

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

then look at a 13" MBP, but if you can get away with ocasional use of an external dvd drive, get a MBA.

6. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

an external is a definite possibility. I don't watch many at all but I would like the ability if needed. I will check into that.

7. Rmafive macrumors 6502

You most definitely should get an air. External DVD drives are so inexpensive... take a look at Amazon. Going from an iBook G4 to an Ivy Bridge air should be a pretty insane jump!

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

A Macbook Air will actually feel faster than a non-upgraded 13" MBP because of the standard solid state storage. If you can live with an external optical drive it's the way to go.