Thinking about buying a macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gillilandboy, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

    Apr 3, 2007
    St. Louis MO
    Hello all,

    I was thinking about getting a macbook for my birthday (june 25th) and I had a few questions.

    1. Should I hold off and see what happens at WWDC? Has there been any rumors of new macbooks? I have heard macbook PROS but no macbooks I don't think they would be making new macbook since they just bumped up the specs.

    2. Which one do you think I should get? I am looking on apples site and it seems to me if I put a 160 gig hard drive in the white 1,300 one that brings it up to 1,375 but the black one is 1,500 anyone care to explain that one?

    3. Should I hold off all the way until leopard? I would not mind buying leopard when it came out and upgrading then but I want my macbook right now!!!! lol

    4. Is a 1 gig of ram enough? I don't do a lot of major things on my computer but I am on it ALL DAY for school and for personal use. The things I do are watch movies sometimes chat on AIM and MSN and post on forums and make a weekly podcast.

    5. Can the macbook do 720p?

    Thanks for your help.


    P.S. - I am switcher and could you guys dig some tutorials for me? On the basics of how to use OSX.
  2. eXan macrumors 601


    Jan 10, 2005
    1) Your birthday is at the end of the month anyway, while WWDC is at 11th, so I dont think its a bad idea to hold off for a week.

    2) Apple is charging premium for black MBs, partially because blacks have different plastic - they are much more nice to touch andthe dirt is almost invisible on it, but it shows fingerprints a lot more than white and can become shiny in places.

    (I know this because I have the white MacBook and my dad has black)

    Its up to you to decide what suits you best. Also, black is nicer looking IMO.

    3) No you shouldn't. Leopard is 5 months away and you could easily buy it separately for 129$

    4)For your use its enough.

    5) What do you mean by "do"? My MacBook (Core2 Duo 2 ghz) can playback h.264 1080p with only half of the processor used.
  3. tschoftner macrumors member


    Apr 14, 2007

    1. :apple: yeah, you're right with this one, I think we won't be seeing new MB within the next 6 months or so
    2. :apple: depends what you need and want
    3. :apple: no, I don't think you should wait, leopard won't come out till october; if you need your MB now, buy it now - there'll always be better hardware just round the corner!
    4. :apple: I think you'll be fine with 1 gig of ram, however if you can afford it I would personally go with another gig of ram, more ram means more speed with almost most apps, but if you're just doing basic stuff as you put it, 1 gig of ram will definitely meet your end needs

Share This Page