Thinking about buying a MBP. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by koldewyse, Jul 20, 2008.

  1. koldewyse macrumors newbie

    koldewyse

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #1
    I was going to buy a new Macbook Pro on August 1, since that's the tax-free holiday date in NC, but these rumors of the notebook line being refreshed are making me hesitant to go ahead with the purchase. When do you guys think the new notebooks are being put out? Earlier than August 1, perhaps?

    Or should I not wait?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    I'd wait, whatever the date. We're quite close to a refresh.
     
  3. 7031 macrumors 6502

    7031

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #3
    Yeah, and my Macbook pro is only around 6 months old and is already having graphical glitches.
     
  4. peapody macrumors 68040

    peapody

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    baltimore, md
    #4
    Not to be mean or anything..but why don't you check out the macbook pro section of the forum, there are about 15 threads on the same topic, and more replies there. You can learn more from reading those threads. If this is an opinion thread, a poll might be more beneficial.
     
  5. muldul macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Location:
    West Sussex, England, UK
    #5
    The macbook pro line probably wont be refreshed until 2009 at macworld, can you wait that long?
     
  6. cromwell64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #6
    I disagree. It seems that the macbook pro is going to be updated in August or September. Apple can not wait that long to refresh their flagship laptop line when their competitors are already selling Centrino 2 laptops.
     
  7. jaikob macrumors 6502

    jaikob

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    Location:
    Freeland, MI
    #7
    Yes they can. lol. It will probably be the macbook to be updated first, because plastic is butt ugly next to a MBP, and maybe a small update to the MPB.

    Buy it now. Who cares, its a great machine and you'll love it. Plus, if they even update hardware, you will prolly not notice it, unless you stress the crap out of it.
     
  8. cromwell64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #8
    So you're saying that Apple would wait to update the macbook pro until 2009? I'm sorry but that is laughable. Their hardware specs are leaving a little to be desired at the moment, I can only imagine how pathetic they would look by 2009 if they are still charging $2000-$3000 for their current configurations. Also, I don't consider the move to a new platform a small update.
     
  9. jaikob macrumors 6502

    jaikob

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    Location:
    Freeland, MI
    #9
    Well guess what? I do. And I think your comments on the issue are laughable.
     
  10. Block macrumors 6502a

    Block

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    #10
    Since the update is just around the corner, it'd probably be smartest to wait.

    This is especially true if you don't plan on buying AppleCare because of the high defective rates of the NVIDIA 8600M GT graphic cards.
     
  11. zorahk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #11
    I'll come back in two weeks and laugh at you.
     
  12. cromwell64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #12
    Wow. Fair enough. Are you reading the same website that I am?
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #13
    No. No. No.

    Tuesday, or the 29th, or the first two weeks of August are your best bet.
     
  14. RainForRent macrumors 6502

    RainForRent

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    Greenville, SC
    #14
    Yeah, I hear they are gonna have G5's next refresh. :rolleyes:
    If the holiday makes it more worthwhile financially to buy now,
    then buy now. Otherwise, hold out.
     
  15. DarkRevenant macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    #15
    Its easy...

    If you can wait, wait.

    If you can't, buy now and be happy.

    They definitely won't upgrade before the back to school deal is over...
     
  16. cromwell64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #16
    I think the odds are pretty good that they will be upgraded before the back to school promotion is over.
     
  17. DarkRevenant macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    #17
    No way Apple would release a new line of laptops in the midst of their back-to-school promo. Yes, other companies are already incorporating Montevina chipsets in their laptop lines, but this is Apple, they'll do it when they like, and they won't feel the pressure of other companies.

    I'll say it again.

     
  18. doctoree macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Location:
    Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
    #18
    But it was the same case with the Penryn's. I had to wait forever until Apple finally offered them in february. All the other competitors already had products in the store shelves back then.
     

Share This Page