thinking about buying a new macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by avpmusik, Sep 20, 2009.

1. avpmusik macrumors member

i've used briefly the old macbook pro (2 years ago) and i liked it alot.
    now i am thinking about saving up to buy a new mac book pro (by christmas)

does anybody know if there will be a refresh coming soon?
    okay that was a broad question thats not too relevant to my real question.

my real question is will me buying a macbook pro without the ability to swap out the battery be bad? i mean what if 2-3 years down the line something happens and i need to swap out the battery for whatever reason.. how would i go about doing that?

my other question is, since currentley its a 200 dollar difference is there anybody who owns a 13 inch macbook that currently feels like they should of paid an extra 200 and get the 15? i mean i'm thinking about it.. same specs.. only a 2 inch differance? is it really worth 200 dollars for two inches?

i've seen and used a mac mini 9 (9 inch screen) with mac os x on it and the
    webcam app window was too big.. if i bought the 13 inch would this be a problem for me? does it come close to taking up the entire screen?

lastley how long does the battery last with the brightness all the way up?
    i know the old macbook pro i used to have it would last about an hour and a half totally bright. and could last up to 3 hours when it was dim..

so whats the real battery life like?

and one LAST question. is there a way to have gps tracking as an add on (usb or some other way) so if i was traveling in a car i would know where i was going? .. i know i could buy a gps, or use my iphone but i was just wondering.. i've searched and didnt find much.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The battery can be replaced by the Genius Bar for $180.

3. ShocK x10 macrumors newbie

IMHO the 15 isnt worth it unless you get the discrete graphics (256 or 512). So If i were you, I would go with the 13 @ 2.53 as its the same spec but with more portability -- unless that is youd prefer to have a bigger screen but you can always buy an external monitor.

As for the refresh, im confused about buying before this too as it could be a big / good refresh with Core i5 / i7 and GeForce 200M series but there are problems with nvidia/intel so it may be Core i5/i7 with crappy intel IGP.... which would make me sad.

Its up to you at the end of the day, Im probably going to go with a 13 2.53 pre-refresh and if its THAT big of a difference I may end up selling in a year+half and buy the new one.. but its a macbook so its amazing anyway ;)

I think Applez did a warrenty on the battery in that it would be a free replacement as its built in but im not sure

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably at the beginning of 2010 when the Arrandale processors get integrated.

As goldenmackid says, you can pay to have it replaced.

This isn't really something we can answer for you. Go to the store and look at them side by side. Do you like a bigger screen or a smaller screen?
    I usually get 4 hours or more as long as I'm not doing anything that intense.

5. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I bo8ught a 13inch and haven't once wished I'd gone with the 15. it's a beautiful machine and I have had no problem with screen real estate. I edit video on the thing, it's lovely.