Thinking About Buying A New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Canmacuser, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Canmacuser macrumors newbie

Hello, first time posting here.

I am thinking of buying a new MacBook. I am looking at the 13.3" model with the 2.4ghz processor. I already have an older model Mac laptop(powerbook g4 12") and use it for my everyday computer. However, I want a new one and I want to be able to play games on it as well and that is why I am looking at the new Macbook. I am not looking for anything blazingly fast for gaming, just something that will be good enough for when I am on the road. The only game I am play at the moment is Star Wars Galaxies.

I have another laptop running Windows at the moment and was wondering how the Mac would compare to it. I have a LG P300 laptop with Intel Core2Duo T8300@2.4ghz, 2 gb memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS video card running Windows Vista Home Premium. It plays the above mentioned game really well. Will the Mac be anywhere close in perfomance, or will I lose quite a bit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

3. Canmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. The Mac seems like it should do ok for what I need.

Another question then. How would the MacBook compare to my current dekstop computer. The specs are: Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.8ghz, 1.5gb memory and a Radeon X1600 512mb AGP video card on Windows XP. I know it is difficult to compare desktops and laptops, but my current laptop runs faster than this desktop.

I do plan on using Bootcamp for my game and am leaning to using Windows XP as it seems to run faster than Vista according to most of the reading I have done.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Well, the desktop is a single core, previous architecture CPU. In terms of CPU, the MB, and the HP both, will blow the desktop away. As far as GFX, just take a look around for 3dMark scores, and compare away.

5. mbleopard macrumors regular

If I were you I would use XP thats what I put on mine, though the only downside is no DX10

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook graphics card will be slower than your LG graphics card.

Otherwise, this is an excellent computer.

7. Canmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate the info. I am heavily leaning towards buying one now and am sure I would be quite happy with it. If I do get one, I will be upgrading the ram to 4gb for sure and maybe the hd to 320gb. There is a refurbished one that I am really interested in as well. It only comes with a 250gb hd and 2 gbs of memory, but I can add the 4 gb after. Is it easy to install new memory into the MacBook? Is it that big of a deal to have the 250gb drive instead of the 320gb? Storage isn't a big concern for me as I probably wouldn't use much over 50gb total with both OS's installed and all my games/apps. Would there be a performance difference? The refurbished one I am looking at is this one: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FB467LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

Anyways, thanks again for all the helpful info.

8. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Buy it! I wish I had one, I need money, stupid economy. :mad: :D

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Excellent choice; you could always spend like $50-$100 to get a 320GB-500GB HDD upgrade. Installation is a cakewalk.

RAM is easy to install; requires removing the bottom cover, but Apple provides the instructions; also you pretty much only do it once, so it's not a big deal.