iPad mini Thinking about buying a refurb iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleFanatic10, Nov 18, 2013.

1. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Hello all!

I'm thinking about buying a iPad Mini (non-retina) for myself in few weeks. I don't want to spend another $200 on the same iPad with a better screen which is why I'm not getting the retina version. My question is; should I buy brand new or refurb? Thanks.

2. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I would buy refurb. The price is always going to be better, and you get the same warranty as new. When buying the previous generation, I always go with Apple Refurbished. You're buying older tech, so you might as well pay less if you can.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, if you're settled on a 1st gen Mini, buy it from Apple's refurb department *unless* you can get one of the Walmart Black Friday specials (or you have a thing for "new" vs "refurb")

4. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Thanks guys! I'm thinking about it. The only thing is that I would rather buy it online and pick it up in-store. Unfortunately I can't do that if I buy a refurb (unless my apple store has refurb mini's in store). It is a $49 price difference between new and refurb.....:rolleyes:

5. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridayScans/eBay

----------

you can select instore pickup availability and select ship to store and pick it up once it's delivered there

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you are trying to save as much as you can, then a refurb is a good way to go. Same warranty as a new one. I had a Mini1 since launch, and it served me well. It even ran Infinity Blade. Crashed a lot, but it ran it. And it did everything else well. It is a very nice device, at an even nicer price.

7. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

The Walmart deal is absolutely fantastic -- $199 if you count the $100 gift card as cash (just suck it up and do a grocery run there one time with the gift card if you don't normally shop there). $199. For a brand new mini. Guaranteed in stock for one hour after the doors open, according to their ad. That's an awesome deal.

Otherwise, yeah, the quality of Apple refurbs are phenomenal and fully warrantied, and $249 is a great price too, if you can snatch one up when they become available online.

8. Pezbaby macrumors newbie

Not sure if you are interested in used, but a lot of minis just hit the used market and many of them have warranties on them still.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Well, I'd argue first that the Retina is a lot more than the "same iPad with a better screen." It has the A7 processor, which is night and day vs the A5.

That said, I have no qualms about buying Apple refurbished products. From my personal experience (iPad mini, MacBook Air, iPod), they are just as good as new, if not better (snce they are all individually inspected).

10. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

I have had great success with refurbs in the past! Anyone buying new or refurbed can sometimes get a hold of a glitchy unit, but I really feel refurbs are just as good to purchase as brand new. Some say better since they have already had an issue and been through the repair and checking systems again.

11. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm just saying, all that stuff doesn't matter to me. They both do the same thing, one is just cheaper than the other because of a screen and a new processor. To be honest, I probably won't even know the difference.

I did buy my MacBook from the refurb department from Apple, but it had a logic board defect.... so I'm a little reluctant on buying another one. Plus I want mine BRAND NEW, with the shrink wrap and everything on it! :D, but I am on a budget at the same time lol. I don't know, I'm still thinking. Thanks for all the advice guys!

----------

Yea, I was looking at eBay and most of the ones I was looking at were more expensive than the one on the Apple website.

I was thinking about getting one at my school but unfortunately they still have the $329 price tag on the old minis.

12. RVijay007 macrumors member

Buy one on craigslist. You can inspect it before buying, make sure it's not activation locked, check for dead pixels etc. I just bought a mint 32GB mini white on it for $200 - even came with a smart cover.

13. Fissure macrumors 6502

The Walmart $100 gift card deal is the best deal, use the gift card for gas, who doesn't use gas?

14. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

I bought my 1st refurb item from apple, the mini non retina for my mother just 2 weeks ago, and it's perfect. it looked like a brand new ipad mini. she's hooked on it..lol