Thinking about buying a refurb macbook but..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djnonsense, Jan 25, 2008.

1. djnonsense macrumors newbie

Ive done some research and found refurbs to be a good deal and pretty much the same as a new one except the different box. But I have a couple of questions im unsure of.

Can I exchange it if it comes with cosmetic damages? ( Scratches, dents, etc)

How does the warranty differ from buying a new one?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I bought several refurbs and not one have any scratches on it. They all looked brand new. As for the warranty it comes with the standard 1 year. You can also buy the extended care for it.

3. gettingmy1stmac macrumors member

As far as I know, cosmetic damages are a part of buying any refurbished product. You're not getting a brand new item; you're getting a like new item cosmetically speaking.

As for the warranty, apple's website shows that the refurbished macbooks are covered by apple's 1 year limited warranty.

http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/cpuwarranty.pdf

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Uh no, apple would not sell you a cosmetic damaged machine. If it is damaged apple's repair shop will replace it before it is sold.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You have the same protection with a refurbished Mac as you do with a new one. Furthermore, a refurbished Mac will have an equal or lesser chance of cosmetic damage as a new one.

6. schreck macrumors regular

Exactly. In theory, these machines endure more rigorous testing than those brand new from Apple. Of course, the idea that they'll be in brilliant condition doesn't always hold true. It would be legitimate to assume that you'd receive a very clean unit though.

7. sportsnut macrumors regular

My refurb blackbook was brand new. The battery had 0 cycles and there was plastic still stuck in the heat escape vent by the screen.

Timing a reverb purchase within days of release of a new model raises the odds of getting a machine that would have been sold as new.;)

8. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

My MBP was a refurb, and it was in perfect condition :). All has been well with it (excepting user errors on my part).

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

My MBP also came in perfect condition, no scratches, dents, dings, or otherwise. Go for it!
    The basic warranty is exactly the same as if you had walked into an Apple store and paid with cash. Chances are your refurb unit will be less prone to failures as refurbs pass through a rigorous QA session before being sold.

10. djnonsense thread starter macrumors newbie

11. moik macrumors newbie

moik

I have bought five refurb macs in the past four years. Two ibooks, one macbook, and two imacs.

Once they didn't have a refurb in stock so the guy (over the phone apple store)
    sold me a new one at education discount although I am not a student.

I have been very happy with all these machines.

I have never once received anything "extra" (Ram, software, etc.) so I guess I am unlucky.

My G5 imac, which recently died, had somes scratches on the front. The previous owner must have had it face down on a hard surface, but it wasn't noticable, really.

m

12. moik macrumors newbie

moik

Wait - I forgot something. The refurb imac G5's keyboard was missing one key - the letter "C." It still worked, but I called Apple asking for a new letter "C." They wouldn't send me a single key, but instead sent me a new keyboard that was bigger and fancier than the one that originally came with the G5, and a box with which to return the defective keyboard.

m

13. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

With laptops, technicians replace the top cases, bottom cases and screen bezel before sending it out. It's part of the refurbishment process =)

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yup my next mac is going to be a refurb for sure

15. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Me too, I'm unsure what to get. With the higher Education discount plus applecare (at £47 which is on offer for students at the mo) will cost £648. There is a refurb same spec for £579 without apple care. Any help and advice would be welcomed by me too.

16. djnonsense thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats just the answer im lookin for thanks

17. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Yup. I had the same ?'s when I ordered my refurbed macbook. It should be here Thursday so I can give you an update. They said I can return with in 14 days if there is anything wrong.