Thinking about buying an iPad for my parents... need advice please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bartonjm, Aug 7, 2012.

1. bartonjm macrumors member

Hello folks. I'm thinking about buying an Ipad for my parents primarily for email and sharing photos of our daughter. Their pc died but they really don't need a full function computer. I'm wondering if I should lean towards an IPad 2, wait for the mini, or look at the new IPad? thanks for the advice.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For what you are describing, the iPad 2 would probably be just fine
    I can't speak to the Mini, since we don't even know if one will be released
    But even so, they may appreciate the larger iPad 2 for sharing photos and such

I would recommend the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard/Case to go with it
    For the things they do, it could become almost a replacement computer

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

For the extra $100, I'd just get them the newest iPad. That's what I'm getting my parents anyways.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You could consider a refurb to save a few more $$
    Will they be able to get along with WiFi only?

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

We might see new Mini this year, its worth waiting. iPad would also be fine for those tasks, if you go this route definitely go with the iPad 3. Retina display makes the experience whole lot better, its definitely worth $100.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if you have a fry's nearby.....

http://www.frys.com/product/6549313?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

iPad 2=$349 brand new

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

8. BrennerM macrumors regular

I don't know how old your parents are but if they are getting to the point where they need reading glasses, it seems like the hypothetical iPad Mini would be totally wrong for them. It will require slightly better finger dexterity/accuracy, and all text will be smaller on the screen than the current iPad. The iPad Mini would seem totally unsuited to people over 50, IMO (for the record I am 41), unless they happen to be genetic freaks with really good eyesight.

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah it was $339 for several weeks in a row and now they bumped it up to $349. still, not a bad deal tho.

glad to help!

10. WindWaker macrumors regular

Get the newest iPad for them-- if they're anything like my parents they're eyes will thanks you in the future with the retina display (plus the larger screen should be nicer for them, too-- especially for photos)

11. sarahbaby macrumors newbie

ipad2

Dear ,

I think you should buy ipad 2, mini ipad surface is too small for your parents to tap ans use, especially they can not see it clearly.

Ipad 3 has no much difference with ipad2, but it cause much money. \

I have a ipad3, i do not think it is better than ipad2

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I bought an refurb 1st gen for my folks a few months back, cost next to nothing direct from apple and has been great.

Does get a little slow sometimes, and if buying again I would get an iPad 2...but for basic tasks there's not much in it.

13. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks. I was going to make it a surprise, but I think I'll bring them to the apple store and let them choose which one they like better. They're in their 60s, so clarity will be a bit of an issue. Thanks for the advice.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

go with iPad mini it is easy to carry around and easy to hold longer if showing photo of your daughters….

15. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm 61 and have owned all three (1, 2, and 3). I also will probably get the mini. But if it's the only iPad they will have don't get the mini. They will appreciate the larger screen.

As for the difference between the 2 and 3. To be honest, my eyesight isn't what it used to be and I just can't tell that much difference between the two. But unless money is an issue I would go for the 3 due to the extra memory. My 2 runs into a lot of crashes due to low memory.

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

My parents are in their 60's and they just got an iPad 2 (32gb 3G ATT). After a lot of consideration, this is what I recommended for them though I would have told them to go with Verizon -- the ATT part was a fallout of going to Best Buy.

While I can tell a huge difference in the screen between my wife's iPad 3 and their 2 -- they can't.

In terms of speed, they'll never tell a difference.

The only reason I told them to get a 32 GB was because I knew they were taking a vacation and were going to have a zillion pictures (and they do) and I was going to help them put the pics on their iPad so they don't have to lug 3 albums around (and they do) to show people.

The only reason I told them to get a 3g capable one was simply because they don't fully understand 3G vs 4G vs wifi.... they just "want it to work". I've tried explaining how it all works to them but it's over their heads. I do technical support as a part of my job so breaking things down and explaining them for the layperson is a skill that I possess -- and they still don't get it (but neither do my in-laws). Based on this, I figured I did not want to recommend a wifi only one and then it be MY fault when they find that it won't work at the park and there's no way to make it work (don't even get me started on tethering... that's so far over their heads, planes are dodging that concept).

So it sounds like your parents are in a similar spot. My parents wanted to be able to:

-- Read
    -- Surf the web
    -- Check emails
    -- View pictures of my daughter
    -- Do facetime

the iPad 2 is very sufficient for this and meets their needs just fine.

17. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Really depends on the resolution of the images you'll be sending, and their eyesight.

If your images are high res and they have good eyesight then I would go Retina. They will be able to zoom in to levels the iPad 2 can't touch.

If they have trouble with their vision at arms length and closer then get a 2.
    They will never benefit from the Retina. :apple:

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Due to their worsening eyesight, get then the 2. Buy them the 3G unless you want to troubleshoot any WiFi issues.

19. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I'm in my 60s and I've had the iPad 2 and now have the 3. I really appreciate the sharper screen. I can read for hours and the text is so crisp I don't get eye strain. With the 2 the text was a bit fuzzy so I had to do a lot of zoom and pan.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sorry, I meant the 2 instead of the Mini. The 3 is probably the way to go.

21. WindWaker macrumors regular

If their eyesight is worsening then wouldn't the iPad 3 be a better option, as it puts significantly less strain on their eyes simply because they won't have to focus on typography as much?

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Please look at my post right above yours.

23. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My father is 86, has terrible eyesight, but he can definitely tell the difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 screen.
    After looking at my iPad 3, he decided to retire is iPad 1 and get the new iPad. He mainly uses it for reading iBooks and Mail.