thinking about buying an ipod touch today

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by myuserid, Oct 18, 2007.

1. myuserid macrumors newbie

I would love to buy an iPhone, however I hate ATT/Cingular or whatever they will call themselves next ;) Currently, I'm stuck with Verizon as a carrier so a hacked iPhone isnt really an option. I'm considering buying an iPod touch. But, after reading about the iPod touch in the forums here today I've noticed many people plagued with these issues:

1. Dead Pixels
    2. Green glittery looking dots (back light escaping between pixels?)
    3. Problems displaying the color "black"

Are there other issues I should be concerned about at this time? Or have they worked out some of these issues already?

Thanks

myuserid

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

1)Dead pixels are a risk of any LCD screen
    2)Same as 1
    3)If you buy one from the shop today it wont have the negative black problem

3. applecheese macrumors member

^^^^^^^^^^

4. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Apple will replace dead pixels, I believe. I never had a dead piaxel on any of my LCD's

5. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

About number 3:

Most stores know this is a problem and will help you exchange if this does happen. Some people on the forums have gone through about 4 or 5 exchanges w/ no problems from the store itself. Sure there is always a risk for this type of thing, but the newer the iPt the less likely you will have it.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Any 1A week 37 or newer will NOT have the negative black problem, although apparently the 1.1.1 update causes it in some cases.

7. myuserid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info... anything else I should be concerned with that I havent read about yet?

8. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Just get it man. It's the coolest toy ever. I love it.

9. EthernetCard macrumors member

My iPt has 5 dead pixels. Called up AppleCare and they said that they would replace it. Sent it in, the technicians looked at it, and sent the same iPt back saying there was nothing wrong with it. Took it to my nearest Apple Store (2 1/2 hours away) and they said that they would replace it, however, it is personalized. What the genius recommended doing was waiting for the mad rush for this product to slow down and then try sending it in and see what they say... So now I am stuck with an iPt with 5 dead pixels until after the holidays... :/

10. myuserid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info everyone I just picked up 2 16gig ipod touch's

Ill have to read more about hacks and stuff. Im sure you can do a couple cool things to this bad boy.

11. trance728 macrumors member

2? damn money bags. oh and there are way more than just a couple of cool things that you can do once its hacked.

12. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Mine keeps crashing on me and I haven't even hacked it. I was listening to music and it crashed when I tried to go into settings. Safari crashes a lot too. I'm not very happy right now.

Has anyone taken one back for this issue?

13. myuserid thread starter macrumors newbie

One for me one for my business partner.

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

those are risk factors you face with any type of LCD / TV... it's not like they won't let you exchange it for a working unit.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I asked for a full refund after finding out that my SIXTH iPod touch had stuck pixels. The 5 previous had stuck pixels as well. I'm going to wait a while til this goes away...if ever.
    6 units is unacceptable.