Thinking About Buying iPhone on eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fendi10023, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Fendi10023 macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about purchasing an iPhone on eBay. Anyone ever bought a iPhone on eBay? Would love to hear some tips, horror stories, success stories, etc. I'd be getting a Sprint phone btw.

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Why do you want a Sprint phone? It will have absolutely no resale value eventually. Sprint is the worst carrier. Go with AT&T or T-Mobile and I guarantee you'll be much happier.

3. Fendi10023 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a plan with Sprint. My 5s was stolen and I need a new phone.

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I'm sorry that your phone was stolen and that your on Sprint.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just make sure it has a clean ESN. Great thing about buying on eBay is that you have 45 days to return it if anything goes wrong and get your money back.

6. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

I purchase iPhones on ebay at least once every other day. Usually wholesale bulk salvage high-dollar lots. I've never been ripped. Here are some tips I use.

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is just that.
    See if the eBay users feedback is a lot...like 100 or so. If not, look through their feedback and see if it is mostly positive.

Im an ebay seller as well as a buyer...

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Am I thinking about it.
    Nope

----------

YOUR 5S WAS STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: DID YOU FIND THE WHO STOLE IT WITH FIND MY iPHONE????? I could only think about how much I would cry if my iPhone 4 was stolen. Don't know what would happen if I had a 5s that was stolen. I feel very bad for you.:(
    Everyone moment of silence please.:(

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

On the positive side, he should be able to get a replacement cheaper.

OP, what ipadSC400 says.

9. Fendi10023 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please explain further

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I see you have not spent time on eBay looking, yet.

Because the disdain, general perceived low cellular quality of Sprint carrier, Sprint phones on eBay (elsewhere?) tend to sell cheaper.

That is, I assume you want another Sprint phone and not one of those unlock Verizon, go everywhere phone. If you can take the shock of buying an unlocked$$$ phone after a theft.

11. praterkeith macrumors regular

praterkeith

Just make sure the ESN is clean. You can call Sprint to check it out. If the seller refuses to provide the ESN, don't buy it. I've bought 2 phones, new in box off of eBay for Sprint and both were good experiences. Hope this helps man.

----------

Because you know exactly how the cell service is in his city. ATT/Tmobile SUCKS where I am, so speak for yourself. He asked a question and nobody benefited from your opinion, that was off topic to begin with. Hallelujah, Merry Christmas.

12. bassett700 macrumors member

bassett700

I've purchased a few Iphones on ebay. My advice: once you get the phone and go through the initial set up, immediately sign into icloud, activate find my phone, and log into the App Store. This will validate whether the phone is associated with another Apple ID. Also register the phone at Apple's My Support Profile. If you get a message that it's already registered, contact the seller to unregister it.