Thinking about buying Mac. Help Please...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Earlet9, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Earlet9 macrumors member

Hey guys. First time poster here, but I have been around, browsing the site/forums for maybe 6 months now. But I have not been able to keep my eyes off of Macs. I want one soo bad. I have a Windows laptop right now, but I'm quickly getting sick of it while watching all this info about Macs. So, my question is: Which Mac should I get? I will be going to college soon. so, most of my usage will come from documents (plan on getting Office 08) and internet and email. Nothing special, but I would love a Macbook Pro, due to the size of the screen and what not. Will a Mac fit the college life good, or should I stick with Windows (please don't be the latter...)? I do plan on installing Vista on my new Macbook, just due to some work that may have to be done on a Windows machine. Anything else that a first time Mac buyer should know would be helpful as well! Thanks

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If you still need windows, nothing that VMWare fusion or Parallels can't fix for you. Those can virtually run Windows. I would say the Macbook Pro would be overkill unless you plan on doing some gaming or high end video/graphics. If screen area is a concern then the MBP would be in your best interest. Just trying to save you some money.

3. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

The Macbook sounds great for you, it is plenty powerful enough. Plus IMO the screen size on a macbook is perfect not to big and not to small just right for travel.

4. Earlet9 thread starter macrumors member

Well, as a college student, I'm sure I'll have some free time (or time that I should use to study...) that i will want to game. I also am looking to hook it up to a cinema display, decent size. Also, in the upcoming updates, do you think they will add an HD screen to the 15"? That is the ONLY thing making me go towards the 17" right now...

5. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

What games would you be planning on playing? If they arent too graphic intensive then macbook, If youre a huge gamer that likes to play the latest games then go for the pro. Btw, how powerful is your windows laptop? If its a newer one why not just use that one to game on? :D

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

7. Earlet9 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what games, probably like Madden and stuff like that. I'm not a big gamer at all... but I may. My Windows lappy is horrible it is 2 years old, and it is very low end (I'm in high school, and all students have them. So they are cheapy Thinkpads) I think screen space is basically my main concern. I love a bigger screen! :D I will not be buying probably for at least another year, but I'm so anxious, I just needed something to start basing stuff off of. I You guys probably think I'm weird now for thinking that far ahead, but that's how much I want a Mac...

8. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

This is what I would do. Buy a macbook when you want too. It sounds like youre gonna wait a while till you do so and I am positive they will be updated by then with better hardware. Buy the macbook and then use the extra 500 or so bucks to buy a bigger monitor to hook up the macbook too. The current macbooks have a X3100 and they arent that bad of chipset. By the time you will probably be purchasing one Im sure there would be more powerful chipsets in the macbooks. Im typing this on my first mac. Its a macbook pro and Its overkill for me and what I use it on. A macbook wouldve been plenty for me, it sounds like you are very similar in using the computer as me. If that makes you feel better. ;)

9. Earlet9 thread starter macrumors member

Brian-

That def. helps me a ton. However, (and again, this is just now, and not in a year) the Macbooks don't connect to a HD display (correct me if I'm wrong please). But that's the other big plus. I guess I don't really need the screen space I guess, but I'm one of those people that really like buying the most expensive of something (I'm spoiled, and I hate it...). But now that you gave me a situation, similar to mine, that puts the Macbook back into my sights. I would be able to get a very good Macbook and still have money left over than a 17" Pro. Thanks for your help.

10. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

If you're waiting about a year until you make a decent purchase, take in mind that the Macs will develop more drastically as time goes on (probably 2 updates) within the next year. Who knows what might happen?

Keep your mind open! XD

11. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

Im just gonna throw this out there, Iam not 100% sure if this is correct so anybody correct me if this is false info but I think macbooks can hook up to a HD display. I think you have to buy the connector to do this, but they come with Macbook pros. I think its like a DVI connector or something like that but it is possibly to hook up to HD sets, you can hook it up to HDMI etc... Again I dont know if this is possible for Macbooks but I am sure you can do it with Macbook pros.

12. Earlet9 thread starter macrumors member

I just looked, and i think it can hook up to a 23" HD display, which is plenty. now for the next question on the next update. Do you think that a new macbook will come out as Aluminum? I love the black, but its not worth that extra money (if I'm going to cut down, I'll cut down...) and if it is aluminum, would that be cheaper than the black? I understand there will be updates in the coming year, I just am so anxious, and need baselines to guide myself off of. And my bad, i called you "Brian" I was way off... Sorry.

13. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

Good, I just wasnt sure if the chipset supported HD yet although I thought it did. As for the aluminum I am gonna say there is almost no chance the consumer level macbooks will get aluminum. I think apple uses that to differ the "pro" line from the "consumer" line. Plus the plastic on the macbooks is more durable then the aluminum on the macbook pros. The pros dent. So if I were you I would just wait a year like you said you plan to to get one. As someone else in this thread stated there would be about 2 updates to the macbook by then and I am sure they will put things in there that are way better then whats in there now. So my advice is just wait till then.....if you can :D

14. Earlet9 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I am only 16 (a junior in high school) so I have the rest of this year, and my senior year to wait before the parents will get me a new lappy, since I just got one the beginning of my freshman year, so I HAVE to wait, although I don't want to. But yes, I'm sure the choice will be made even harder when that time comes around, but at least you guys have helped me a little, let me get started on thinking. The reason I asked about the aluminum is that I love the white (when I say love, I mean I love it...:D) but I'm afraid it will get dirty with all the moving from class to class and all the hands on carrying it will encounter.

15. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

I am pretty sure the white wont get dirty because of the type of plastic they use on it. But I have heard that it scratches easier then the black macbook. I cant confirm this from experience but many have said this so just letting you know. Plus the white wont show fingerprints as good as the black will.