Thinking about buying new speakers, HELP?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Joe888, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Joe888 macrumors member

Joe888

so im going to buy a new iMac and i know it comes with built in speakers, but I was also going to buy a set of speakers to add onto it. This is probably a really dumb question but this will be my first mac, If i buy new speakers for my iMac and plug it into the back, will the sound only play out of my speakers or will it play both out of my iMac and the speakers? Thanks for the help.

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

just the speakers, its like hooking your headphones into it, except for little speakers in your ears, they are huge and around you.

at least thats what its like on my mbp.
    also if you get a nice stereo you can hook it up through a toslink connection (fiber optic cables)

i think all macs now have toslink and an audio jack that are combined.
    at least that what its like on my mbp.
    and you can get some cheap ones at mono price.com

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Yep, 3.5mm mini-toslink on the iMac, just plug it into the headphone port, aka digital audio out.

4. Joe888 thread starter macrumors member

Joe888

5. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well loud?

i don't know how loud loud is for you.
    if the imac is anything even somewhat like my lap top, the speakers are ok...
    i mean its nice...

but since i have a 500watt 5 speaker, 2 sub woofer surround sound in my room, i would say no.

like i haven't gone past halfway on my volume on the stereo and its fing, loud,
    like unbearable,
    i mean i turn it up and put earplugs in and play drums at the same time and i can hear the music clear as day.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread :p

Here's my actual answer:

Watts mean very little, so you can often discount them. Logitech rate some of their systems as over 500 watts etc... but in reality there are very few systems which can develop anywhere near that much power.

Either way, for 'simple' little 2.1 speakers which get the job done with minimal hassle, I have been impressed with the Logitech Z4s.

7. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123