Thinking about buying retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gadgetgirl85, Nov 18, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am thinking about buying the retina iMac. I would probably get the 256gb ssd, 16gb ram. Is it worth to do the upgrade to the i7 processor? Or the video card? Would be doing everyday tasks, spss (statistical program), surfing the net. I'd also like to put bootcamp and play some games like the Sims 4 on it. Wondering how the video card compares to my PC which has a Sapphire 2GB SA-7850-2GD5-OC-V2 7850-OC PCI-E VGA Card (SI).

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

With what you're doing you'll probably be fine with the i5, but you may want to up the graphics card. The base card in the retina is a bit on the weaker side for powering that display. In another thread a couple users have commented on this referring to what they saw when they got to play the with machine at the Apple Store, though I'm struggling to find the exact link to that thread at the moment.

3. Cape Dave, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I bought the 8GB i5 plus upgraded graphics. Just seemed like the thing to do because of all those extra pixels.

Upgraded to 24GB Ram after I bought it.

It works very well. I do not game or video edit. The fan has never raised to over the default speed in 3 weeks. It is super quiet, which I love.