Thinking about buying Series 3

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Is it too late? Great deals going on, but how does the OS run on it? Would it run really slow at this point?

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
But you still might want to wait, Series 6 is only 12 months away potentially :)

Seriously though you will wait forever if you wait for the next version to come along. Series 3 is great and if you can get a good deal I would say go for it.
would only wait if the OS isnt working great on 3. Still fast??

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
My wife's Series 3 is running smoothly. Heck, my Series 2 is still running smoothly for the most part.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
would only wait if the OS isnt working great on 3. Still fast??
For watch, feature set is more important than watchOS performance. I go series 4 so close before series 5 because I want that noise monitor and fall detection feature, now that I can sorta afford it. Does watchOS 6 run? Obviously, performance? Kinda important but not to the level I have to worry about too much. It is not watch series 0 vs series 4 anymore,

breezyf808

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
I have the series 3 black SS model, but recently found an aluminum series 4 cellular for $100 off. Should I just hold on to my series 3 or bite the bullet and get the series 4?

perezr10

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I have the series 3 black SS model, but recently found an aluminum series 4 cellular for $100 off. Should I just hold on to my series 3 or bite the bullet and get the series 4?
The Series 3 and 4 are close enough in performance that I’d rather have a stainless steel/sapphire screened Series 3 than an aluminum Series 4. Not only does the space black stainless steel look so much nicer, you don’t have to worry about the screen getting scratched either.

I recently downgraded from a SS Series 4 to a SS Series 3 and I don’t miss the Series 4 at all. It didn’t really do anything that my Series 3 couldn’t do. It just had bigger text. Since I’m not some old guy that needs large text everywhere, I didn’t really care about that.

If you do get a Series 4, don’t expect it to be as quick and buttery smooth as an iPhone XS. It isn’t. I’m waiting for the Series 5 to upgrade again.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Depending on whether you want your watch a bit future proof software wise or a nice looking last gen watch, you can choose either of them.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Is it too late? Great deals going on, but how does the OS run on it? Would it run really slow at this point?
Slow? No. Keep in mind, the Series 3 Apple Watch and Series 4 both use the ‘faster dual core processor’, the difference being, the Series 4 use 64 bit architecture, which essentially means, it will likely be supported for longevity for applications/software updates, so if that’s a consideration, then I would wait to see what the Series 5 will offer, if one launches in the fall and/or if you decide to opt for a Series 4.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
Depend on the deal. You didn’t mention how great it is so couldn’t say exactly.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
Just recently bought a SBSS Series 3 for about $280 Canadian on eBay.

Killer deal. I've spent the last 27 years of my life without wearing a watch so I wasn't too interested in dropping $400-500 for one when I already lived for so long without one. Not only that but holy moly do the Apple Watches drop in value like a bomb. $300 for an Apple Watch is the absolute maximum I'd pay for one. If I like my Series 3, I think I'll just upgrade when a later generation SBSS hits the $300 sweet price tag.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I got a brand new S3 stainless from B&H photo for $349 a few months back. Too good of a deal to pass up at 40 percent off retail. And half off what a S4 stainless costs. But at this point unless it’s some insane deal I’d just wait till September and get an S4 at a discount. I have zero speed issues with my S3 and the cost saving allowed me to get a couple extra bands including the official stainless link bracelet.

Reactions: Kurri

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’m still with series 2. Don’t see much difference between them :)
Physically, there’s hardly any difference at all, but the real underlying factor was actually the speed increase with the Series 3 faster dual core processor over the Series 2, which was rather significant and makes the experience that much better in terms of loading and overall fluidity with the watch experience. And of course the added LTE being the major factor for independency.

Reactions: kanmoloko

kanmoloko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016
I also feel so, despite having a dual core faster processor. I consider series 3 a faster version of series 2, whereas series 4 fundamentally changes the way we interact with Apple Watch with watchOS 6 and larger screen.
I buy and sell Apple watch, check all models everyday, but white ceramic series 2 is my favorite. With Nike white band black dots, it’s my everyday watch
At first I like features but now use watch for time and notifications. Cellular feature does not work in our country:)

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
Recently upgraded from Watch Series 0 to Series 3. My Series 0 was still fine but I'd like to avoid carrying my iPhone whole the time, so the best part was to upgrade my Watch to a LTE/Cell one. Got a used one in a perfect state very cheap. Can enjoy my days without spending time on my phone but still be able to be reachable for incidents (call, sms, imessage). Meet your friends at the sea, find together on calls, sms, imessage and location sharing if possible, be available, go swimming, no need to worry about thiefs while swimming and still be able to buy something with Apple Pay. Same on runs etc. Didn't regret it... Watch 4 - sure nice, bigger screen that could scratch earlier in gym, fall detection would probably apply daily on my cases, EKG - holy **** I'm 31 and on a yearly base it should be enough right, now. If not life will become painfully enough. Said since Watch 0 I only change if it'll be broken but LTE/Cell has been a deal changer. Wasn't missing anything else, next dealbreaker could only be a camera for FaceTime video and a whole independence of iPhone to get rid of it.

Everything you buy today will be outdated tomorrow. Take what you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbucksnowhammies

BigDaddio

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2019
My wife's Series 3 is running smoothly. Heck, my Series 2 is still running smoothly for the most part.
Heck my series 0 runs smoothly.
I have series 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and Hermès and it’s all been great.
That’s why they still are sold for good price and stay in price.
It’s a great product overall.

Reactions: rgyiv