Thinking about buying the WD MyBook Studio 1TB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stridder44, May 8, 2008.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've been looking at getting the MyBook Studio 1TB drive, but have heard very mixed reviews. I don't care if its not the fastest, I like it for the nice slim design, size, fanless-ness, and firewire 800. But some I've read some reviews that say it hangs or crashes after 2 years, etc. Anyone here have this drive? Thoughts? Alternatives?

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I have one I use for storage and HD video work.

It works fine but there are a few things.

It slows my iMac bootup time a bit. The drive takes time to wake up from sleep so the iMac basically waits for it. I turn the drive completly off when I'm not using it (hold the power button for 5 seconds turns it off).

Sometimes it will go to sleep in the middle of a project and won't wake back up. I need to hold the power button down for 5 seconds to shut it off and then turn it back on. In the meantime, it hangs the entire iMac.

Other than those two annoying things, it works fine. When I edit HD video and use the MyBook as a scratch drive, it captures in real time. Video editing is just as fast as using the internal drive in the iMac. No complaints as far as that goes.

I ran a test. I transferred a large file from my internal iMac drive to a FireWire 400 drive. Then to the MyBook using FireWire 800. Sure enough, the transfer speed through Firewire 800 was double. Very nice in that regard.

I don't know if it will die in 2 years but I'm happy with it now.

3. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

One review I found said it was a good drive but exclaimed it's incredibly important to run the Leopard firmware update http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=39&swid=60.

Also, can't you just uncheck the "turn off hard disks when not in use" box in energy saver to prevent the disk from spinning down? My current external HD never spins down.

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I would urge you to get the RAID unit. 1TB of lost data is a lot to recover, if at all. That said, I bought the 1TB Pro II which is upgradeable. Just get two WD Green Power drives and slap them in. They even run cooler than the AAKS 500GB that comes in the retail package. I'm transferring 200GB of data and the fan hasn't even kicked on. I'm wondering if I accidentally killed it or it's just very cool temp wise.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I bought the 750GB unit since the 1TB's I saw had two 500GB drives in them and I wanted something narrower.

Only had it a few weeks, but so far very pleased.

6. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

The energy saver options in System Preferences work only for internal drives. External drives from WD and Seagate usually have their own energy saving settings within the external drive's firmware. While this is configurable, as usual, it's mostly possible only from Windows (and many a times works only when the drive is used through Windows).\

Fan-less drives usually have a shorter life, however great the enclosure element or shape or size be. If you have good external cooling and/or don't use the drives continuously for long periods of time, then they'll last several years.

7. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I see, and these are fanless yes? I guess I'm just a little worried it might die after 2 years. I mean there's always the possibility a drive will die after a while, but 2 years is pretty short.

8. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Why don't you look at the mercury elite drives from OWC, they are quite nice and will match you mbp... I've been thinking about getting one myself, plus you can get them with esata so add an expresscard and you have superfast access:D