Thinking about clean installing...

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by xTRIGGER092x, Jul 26, 2012.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

So, my Wi-Fi is no longer working after installing ML (see thread here - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411516 if you have any suggestions, please post them) and I'm contemplating a clean install to see if it gets rid of the problem (along with a trackpad/keyboard problem I've had for about a year now that may or may not be a software issue). However, there are some things I'm not sure about:

1. Will I lose my iLife software? It's not saved on the MAS as I got my Mac before the MAS launched. I do have an Applications disc that came with the computer.

2. Can I just pull my iTunes library, iPhoto albums, and Pages documents from my Time Machine backups after I install?

3. I've obviously already installed ML, so I've lost the InstallESD file. To retrieve it, can I go into my last Lion backup and bring it back?

4. For the issue (s) I'm having, is it likely that the clean install will actually be effective?

2. sgtcasey macrumors newbie

You should be able to redownload the .app file and pull the InstallESD file from it to make your boot disk/USB. If I go to the App Store and click on Purchases I have a Download button by the ML download.

Dave